1. TheWriterValiant

TheWriterValiant Banned

How to Balance Plot and POV?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheWriterValiant, Mar 19, 2020.

Well I am not new to writing, I have forgotten how long I have been creating stories for, I am new to this site. Right now I am developing the plot of my story and choosing the POV characters. What I struggle with The most is balancing the two, the main plot is a struggle for the throne, but not the common kind. I will also need to write form the POV of characters who even I consider antagonists and this makes me a bit wary. I'm looking to here thoughts on how I might accomplice the balance between the to. As an aid I have included a summary of the plot and my thoughts on the POV characters so far.

The Plot: my story is set in world that resembles what might happen if you cross mediaeval europe, Victorian england, and then threw some magic in. The plot surrounds the political games played by various characters, mostly members of the current king's family, in an attempt to become the next ruler. Three sides of the conflict have the strangest claim, after the king that is, his first two children, a son and daughter, and his widowed sister-in-law, who claims the throne for her young son. The plan is for little field warfare to take place but for there to be a lot of backstabbing and poisoning, as well as pushing an rival for the throne of the castle walls.

I think that about covers everything...

The POV: I write in reserved third person, for those who want to know. For POV characters I was thinking of choosing around two members of each side of the conflict as well as the POV of someone on the outside. However, well I don't feel like this is too many people, my readers may.

Anyway, I would really like to hear thoughts on this as well as on the plot itself, as I know it is a bit different form most high fantasy tales. I would also like to add as a last note that I don't intend for this story to be a series, so I don't plan to stretch events out.

PS: I hope this is in the right section.

2. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

Welcome to the site.

I suggest reading at least some of A Game of Thrones. It has had 24 major POV characters so far, plus some minor ones, so it should show you that six can be handled easily. And there are probably even more factions, most fighting for a single throne. There are other similarities: the lands are mainly based loosely on medieval England and Europe, with some magic thrown in, and there are a few pitched battles, but a whole lot of backstabbing and poisoning. Oh, and somebody is dropped off a castle tower.

It's clearly similar to what you're trying to do. I don't think that means you shouldn't do it, but there are bound to be comparisons made, especially since A Game of Thrones is so famous and popular. If you read what's there you can ensure your world and story are distinct (the Victorian angle already sounds like a good beginning in that regard).

3. TheWriterValiant

TheWriterValiant Banned

Thank you.

I actually have read the A Song of Ice and Fire books, up to about half way though A Storm of Swords, and well I like them and have taken inspiration from them, I do have my problems with them as well. They are also a series, which is something I want to avoid. Besides that I want to stay off the battlefield, as much as I can, well writing. I hate writing physically fight scenes.

The victorian angle has been fun to explore, for many reasons, and I'm looking forward to working with it more. Another thing I have tried to do is have a more diverse group of characters. Something that I at least, have not seen much in fantasy.

PS: I love your user name.