1. Gilang Ridho Utama

Gilang Ridho Utama New Member

How to be motivated enough to continue writing my novel ??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gilang Ridho Utama, Dec 25, 2017.

Hello... I'm a student who also writes novel in my spare time.

Currently, i'm writing my first novel which is a "motivational novel", i can't really tell you in a more detail what is it about :D.
    I have a few questions related to the title...

1. I've been off from writing this novel for about 5 months... How to be motivated enough to continue writing my novel ??
    2. Actually, i've written around 50 pages-long for this first novel, but, it seems like i reach the "boring part" of this novel to be written... Actually, this boring part is quite important for the development of my novel character, but, i feel like, it's just ... So boring to write about this part ! So, how to get rid of this boredom when i reach the part that i think is boring ??

Feel free to give your advice, tips, opinions, suggestions, and experiences...
    Thank you for your time and consideration !!

crappycabbage likes this.
  2. crappycabbage

crappycabbage Member

Welcome to the forums!

1. A writer's motivation for starting and finishing a story is highly individual, I think, but your motivation seems to be tied to your second question:

2. When I find a chapter or scene boring it is my number one priority to make it "not boring". I've heard it said that if the writer is bored; the reader is bored. I don't know if that's necessarily true, but I can say this: A novelist spends a lot of time with their story, so to have a boring part in it won't help. It's definitely harder to revise and edit the parts you don't enjoy, so my suggestion would be to rework or rewrite that part.

Once you made it interesting, then the motivation to continue your novel might come floating back.

I'd start with reworking it: changing locations or the secondary characters, or give the character more to do or think, while still keeping the original idea. If it still doesn't feel good, maybe it just needs to be taken out and buried under the porch before it starts to stink up the whole book. This is the tough job of being a writer, for sure. But identifying boring bits is a skill that's really good to have as a writer, I reckon. Of course, "boring" is very subjective. But entertain yourself first, that's my motto. :)

The best of luck!

Gilang Ridho Utama likes this.
  3. Gilang Ridho Utama

Great, thanks for your reply !!

crappycabbage likes this.
  4. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

Just think about your novel being done. If your goal is to get this novel published and out into the world, just remind yourself of that as well.
    If this part is boring, maybe you should go back and revise it so that it's more interesting. Or, if you can't do that, try writing something that's random but pertains to your story (same characters or something like that). You may find that writing something fun and not serious that goes along with your novel will motivate you to get working on it again.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

If you think it's boring, it probably needs to change. Your readers won't tolerate boring parts either.

Why is it boring? What happens?

6. Gilang Ridho Utama

I think it is boring because the main character have many dialogues with a person who will motivate him and also develop his personality along with confidence. This part requires that motivational person to share experiences, success stories, tips, advices, etc...

Thanks for your reply !

7. Gilang Ridho Utama

Ok, looks like a very good option for me is to revise all of the boring dialogues in that boring part... Actually, what makes me bored is the dialogue part in that boring section. In the other hand, when it comes to write about what the main character thinks and observes (my novel is First-Person POV), i don’t find it boring. I think i should learn further about writing good dialogues :D

Thanks for your reply !!

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  8. Gilang Ridho Utama

Actually, what makes me bored is the dialogue part in that boring section. In the other hand, when it comes to write about what the main character thinks and observes (my novel is First-Person POV), i don’t find it boring. I think i should learn further about writing good dialogues :D

9. ChickenFreak

This is sounding dangerously like a self-help book with a little bit of plot woven through it. That's unlikely to work.

Why does the main character's guru (or whatever you might call him) tell all these stories? Why can't the main character experience those things?

10. Gilang Ridho Utama

Hmm, actually, not the main character’s guru... And, that person who shares experience / success stories is actually a minor character, but somehow, i plan that person to have a huge influence by motivating the main character. The main character, i can say, is in a condition near to despair... That’s why he needs a person to motivate him through dialogues which contains a lot of success stories, experiences, etc... The dialogues will not be very long actually, and i predict those dialogues will be only around 6-7% of the overall novel. But, those dialogues will be important to motivate the main character, along with developing his confidence, and moreover, getting him away from the feeling of despair.

11. ChickenFreak

6-7% of the novel is, I'm afraid, HUGE--for what is essentially backstory. Success stories that happened in a minor character's past, rather than actually happening during the novel, are likely to be a problem.

12. SoulGalaxyWolf

SoulGalaxyWolf Active Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCucoBxoMb6CaCdeIct5W8uQ M. KIRIN is a writing youtuber that gives advice on writing and has this segment called Writing Academy. It's pretty motivating.
    You can read writing blogs, listen to music, go for a walk, look at photos.
    I used to not write for months at time while writing my novel (which is still a WIP) but now, I write way more often for it. I started word sprints which I wake up around the same time of each day to time myself writing within my "writing space" which could be at a coffee shop, desk, or bed. Just write nonstop. Listen to music watch a writing video go back to it.
    Read books you like! Read writing books. Go to a park and observe people and see what they do. Draw. Do other creative things while pondering your book.
    Yell at yourself. Tell yourself "At least a sentence" or "At least read a bit or work something that has to do with my story" It helps.

Don't worry about it until you get to the end. Don't edit it at all. You edit everything in the end. Then when your done, edit. I read from somewhere that it's best to REWRITE the whole thing because every time you do it, it will most likely be better. Do whatever suits you best though. Just Keep writing and try to make it more interesting as you go along.

Good Luck on your story and I hope you enjoy this website :)