1. nickbrookes1991

nickbrookes1991 New Member

How To Kill Off A Family

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by nickbrookes1991, Jul 26, 2011.

I have started writing a new story and at the beginning of my story I have my main characters which consists of a a family with two children, they are driving home from an hospital with a new child, they are driving in a car following another car in front which are the wife and husbands parents, I need away in which they can all die but only the parents in front literally will die, either in the car when it happens or out. Did not really want to do a typical car crash but could not think of anything else.
    If anyone has any ideas I would be much appreciated.

2. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Literally die?

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Why not instead of a car crash, kill the parents off a different way?

Children are at home with nanny.

Parents are off doing whatever. They are then killed by a crazed gunman.

That way, you can kill the parents off without risking harm to the children.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Or the parents have to stop by a convenience store while the kids wait in the car, and the store gets shot up by a robber.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Or maybe someone with a beef with the dad breaks into the house during the night. Dad fights, gets killed. Mom fights, gets killed. (and the guy has a knife, so that's why no one upstairs hears.)

That someone then runs away, not knowing that there is a bunch of children upstairs.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Carbomb, anyone? :rolleyes:
    Ok, that would most definitely kill the kids too, plus the car...

7. Dr Guillotine

Dr Guillotine New Member

Do you want to take out just the kids?

Or the parents and the kids?

I'm a little confused at the phrasing.

8. pyrosama

pyrosama Member

How about the driver has a heart attack while driving, the mother successfully pulls the car off the road, thereby saving the kids. She gets out screaming and trying to flag down help and she gets run over. You can thank me by visiting my blog in my signature.

:D

9. martial_wolf

martial_wolf New Member

Or perhaps two guys roll up on either side of the car and put a round into each parent's head?

10. Demidrake

Demidrake New Member

The car could drive off a bridge or something, maybe, and the windows might be down partway, so only the kids can get through. Or the driver could be smoking(I've seen people smoke while driving), and he doesn't see what's going on in front, so he might just run into a fence. Making the driver drunk is always an option as well, but I'm sure the other parent wouldn't particularly like that. They could accidentally take a wrong turn and end up in the middle of a gunfight or something, although that one is stretching it a bit. The possibilities are endless; there are trillions of way for someone to die.

11. nickbrookes1991

nickbrookes1991 New Member

To recap on the story a want the grandparents to die in the front car literally and I want the possability of the family in the car behind of dying but survive, for example the incident would have killed them but in this case it doesn't.

12. Blue_Lotus

Blue_Lotus New Member

Grams n gramps take a swerve into opposing traffic causing a pile up that the second car is involved in, why did they swerve is the question you would have to answer perhaps some youngster tossed a cinder block off the over pass??

13. Marranda

Marranda New Member

Hmm... I kind of like the idea of stopping at a thrift store, or gas station and getting murdered during a robbery...
    Maybe both cars stop at a gas station, gramps goes to the register to pay for fuel while granny goes in to use the restroom... Mom and Dad see a suspicious person go in behind Gramps and pull a gun on him, so Dad runs in to try and subdue the robber just as granny's coming out of the restroom... Robber goes trigger happy on everyone in the store and on his way out bumps into Mom, whom he pistol whips before running away...
    That way both grandparents are shot and killed, the Dad is injured enough to be rushed to the ER, and the Mom has a concussion that could potentially lead to bleeding of the brain...

Leaving all children safe/saved, the parents injured enough in a way to retain the potential to kill them off, and the grandparents are Definitely Dead...

That also creates a traumatic enough event for the children, to have a lasting effect on them that would enable several possibilities in how they turn out as they get older.

14. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Maybe an accident at a gas station they stopped at. Someone, somehow, ingites one of the fuel lines and takes out a gas pump with a huge explosion that kills and injures many people. Among the dead would be the parents.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a car crash, but maybe a helicopter up above spins out of control and crashes into their vehicle killing the parents. Maybe it crashes down into the parents while they are parked and outside.

The way they die also depends on what kind of story this part is going into. Depending on that, these things can be very implausible, very stand-outtish, or excessive.

15. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Maybe an accident at a gas station they stopped at. Someone, somehow, ingites one of the fuel lines and takes out a gas pump with a huge explosion that kills and injures many people. Among the dead would be the parents.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a car crash, but maybe a helicopter up above spins out of control and crashes into their vehicle killing the parents. Maybe it crashes down into the parents while they are parked and outside.

The way they die also depends on what kind of story this part is going into. Depending on that, these things can be very implausible, very stand-outtish, or excessive.

16. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Electrocution? Car in front skids and hits a pole. Father leaps out to assess damage and steps on live cable thats been brought down. Mother sees him fall to ground, touches him, she's dead too. Wait though, this isn't Turkey, I'm forgetting hazards like this aren't around every corner in other countries.
    Although...
    my parents nearly died like this once. They were in a dinghy, coming in to moor at the dock, when my father noticed just in time that an electric cable was sagging over the water. If it had touched the dinghy's metal mast, they would both certainly have been electrocuted and died.

17. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

The front car crashes into an incoming truck with the second car colliding into the first? You want the children to survive right? Theres loads of cases where the back or front of a car takes the entire impact while the other part is left harmless. Infact last year 2 girls driving with a mate of mine and his girlfriend were in a car crash. The truck hit the rear of the car killing the two girls in the back, but leaving my mate and his girlfriend without so much as a few scratches.