1. Amarin Reyny

Amarin Reyny New Member

How to construct a fantasy sign language

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Amarin Reyny, Feb 3, 2019.

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on constructing a fantasy sign language. Looking online, I've seen a great deal of information on constructing fantasy languages, but none of the information I've found deals specifically with sign language. If someone knows of any resources, or otherwise has advice in this regard, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure how helpful this response will be to you.
    Signing is an important part of the magic system that I developed for my fantasy series. It's the non-verbal element in the casting phase of a spell.
    My story is told in the 3rd Person Limited.
    Right now, in the 1st draft, I'm using a very general description when I describe a spell is being cast:

Urisk nodded. The amharc signed and the orb glowed.

My intention is to complete the 1st draft, and then use it as a guide as to what I really need to tell the reader.
    Then, I will go back to the planning phase, and develop the sign language details that are needed for the story.
    Spells, in general, are written in a sort of Elvish. There will be a bastardized sign language to go supplement it.
    I tend to plan, write, plan, and write. I develop enough world building to prime the story, and then supplement the story with world building on a need to write basis.
    Also, knowing your narrative is very important. There is a big difference in the details you need for a 1st Person narrative in contrast to the 3rd.
    Godspeed!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Have you read Dune? Several hand languages are used in a convincing way, and none of them are described in detail. You don't have to provide a Klingon dictionary just because Klingons aren't speaking English.

I would use something like "Kyle shared his disdain for the Princess with a hand barely rising above his waist." You don't have to provide the etymology, and you probably shouldn't.

Stormburn likes this.