Tags:
  1. Damage718

Damage718 Senior Member

How to convey 'destiny' without being cliche

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Damage718, Nov 8, 2019.

You know, the old right place/right time scenario (or wrong place/wrong time).

In other words, I have a character who I want to convey is destined/fated to have a certain thing(s) happen to her. She's "supposed" to move to a new place, "supposed" to encounter certain people, "supposed" to be stuck in a given situation, only she doesn't know that.

What are some good ways to get this across without sounding too cliche, or cheesy? I don't want to literally say that what she's gotten herself into is fate - but that's the point I'd like to try and make.

Thanks!

Rockatansky likes this.
  2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I assume this is related to your horror story.

Rather than try to depict it, how about having her discover little clues, like a photograph of the wife who bears a remarkable resemblance to her? Or she finds out they share the same birthday/birthmark/other feature?

The_Joker and Damage718 like this.
  3. The Bishop

The Bishop Senior Member

You could hint at it in the previous writing. Like reference the things that are her destiny, so it's mentioned, but not obvious. That way when you write the actual discovering of the destiny the reader will have heard, and by that point might be familiar with, the "destinies". The way to make it not obvious is just to add the references subtly.

Damage718 likes this.
  4. Damage718

Damage718 Senior Member

Yes, it is definitely related to that story.

I was thinking along these lines before your message. I changed the 'ghost car' encounter to a real car - a near accident. But the MC has a moment with a laugh and upward glance as if to say "At THAT intersection? Thanks Universe!" And another encounter with the old guy from the bar at another location, where he mentions something related to the folklore, unsolicited, which reminds the MC of why/how she's being stalked. The photograph is a great idea!

The ending is still elusive though.

The_Joker likes this.