1. Cole

Cole New Member

Developing An Ensemble Cast

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Cole, Nov 15, 2012.

I tried using the serach function for this, but almost 60 pages worth of results came up and I didn't see anything about it through the first pages. But I'm basically working on a story that consists of Black Comedy and an Ensemble Cast, and while the idea of Pulp Fiction might spring into someone's mind, it'd be more akin to Baccano!, a Japanese light novel series written by Ryohgo Narita in the sense that it's situated in the real world, but the characters consists of immortals, superhumans, and homunculus.

I already have a general idea for what I'm doing with my characters (series goes from the U.S. 1920s - 1980 for those interested), but I was wondering, if anyone could provide an example of other works of fiction that manage to accomplish that under similar standards so as to get a better feel on how to work with people like that.

2. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

Tarantino seems like a good place to start. There're quite a few British TV shows that I can think of that deal with fairly dark material but are black comedies. I'm thinking along the lines of Skins. I know it's pretty far off from your examples but the show manages to sustain multiple ensemble narratives while keeping a fairly upbeat tone. Maybe Death at a Funeral is another movie you could look at?

3. normalzebra

normalzebra New Member

well this might sound pretty strange... but look at some mangas or animes if you can... cause they frequently make "super" teams of people that are quite extraordinary with their powers and such... so maybe try to have alook at that for some inspiration.... also, it is my humblest opinion that you could put in a few members that disagree with the other race for example: a classical vampire would be an enemy of lycanthropes but the team has both of them present....
    this leads to some banter that often challenges the group dynamic and helps drive the story forward in the sense ... ummm... here is an example... I don't know if you have ever watched power rangers or not but here it is ... the power rangers team always fights among themselves.. sometimes trying to prove themselves against a more powerful enemy and failing but realising that teamwork is the way to go and thus attaining a new level of co-operation and respect with the other team members.... well you could introduce things like this and maybe just maybe ... a secret love triangle I the team to really rock the team to its core... you know...

I hope this helped... :)