How to create interesting filler sections?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Nicholas C., Aug 10, 2011.

1. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway New Member

Maybe write something that is a bit more stylized than your last couple. Be a lot more intricate (but not boring) with describing how things look, feel like, smell, ect.

Also, try adding more story. Like a couple subplots or something like that. Again, though, they can't be boring, and don't force it. Make it interesting. There is nothing worse than a cheesy subplot that no one cares about.

2. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

So much for quality versus quantity...

3. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

I had a similar problem with my manuscript, but nowhere near that scale. My story was at 70k when I knew the ideal would be 80k.

Some of the things I did:

1) I gave one of my minor characters a greater role, creating scenes and a subplot around him. I also fleshed out his personality more and amped up the tension between him and my mc. So basically if you want to try this, make one or two of your characters stronger, give them a pivotal role in the plot, and adapt the plot to accomodate them. Your word count will jump, and because this entire method is based on making the character more relevant, the additional writing will be relevant as well, and not simply padding.

2) I added an addtional obstacle for the mc to face before reaching the conclusion. I had to go back to the beginning and weave in elements that heralded this added obstacle. It also added words to the conclusion, as I used it to underline the immense struggle the mc had to go through to reach this point.

These two things added ten thousand words to the manuscript. There are other ways I'm sure. The important thing is not to just tack on an elaborate chapter to bulk up your project. The growth should occur throughout the whole book. Whatever method you employ should be embroidered into the entire plot, and hopefully enhance the entire story. Add more tension, create a new facet to the story, stengthen your characters. These can all be done as you pump up the length of your novel.

I've never really agreed with the statement, "when a story's done it's done and should not be added to." The story is yours and you can both lengthen it and make it better. It just requires careful planning. The changes must ripple through the novel, not be clumped in one or two parts.

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

is it possible to add another POV? or like someone said above, go further into descriptions without exaggerating, of course. Add a couple of subplots that are relevant to the story. what is the story about (if you don't mind to share)?