1. yokone

yokone Member

Starving // Starved

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by yokone, Jan 29, 2012.

Hi

Which one is correct? If both are correct, what s the difference?

I am starving // I m starved

Thank you

2. TheIllustratedMan

TheIllustratedMan Active Member

Well, both are typically hyperbole, but to answer your question:

"I'm starving" would mean that you are in the process of being starved. To be starved is to be extremely malnourished, or to have died as a result of extreme malnourishment. So to say that you're starving would be to say that you're in the process of becoming extremely malnourished.
    "I'm starved" is, I guess, to currently be in a state of starvation. That is, to currently be extremely malnourished. You would be just about ready to die, if you haven't already. Though if you had, you probably wouldn't be telling us that you're starved...

Anyway, I think either one is fine, assuming that the second is even grammatically correct (which I'm not 100% convinced that it is... although if "I'm malnourished" and "I'm convinced", then I guess that I can be starved too...).

3. yokone

yokone Member

@Illustrated maThank you for the answer...

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Unless I'm mistaken, starving is an intransitive verb and starve(d) is a transitive verb.
    Basically, "starve" is more active than starving because it has to do directly with the object.

I am starving.
    I was starved.

And now I'm beginning to feel like "starved" isn't even a word. I had that feeling. Hope this helps.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it depends on how the character would put the fact that s/he's very hungry... many people say 'i'm starving' and some even would say 'i'm starved' despite the niceties of proper grammar... ignore the rules and let your character say whatever fits with his/her normal way of talking...