How to describe your setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by NeveroddoreveN, Sep 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I don't write genre so I like my descriptions to do a half a dozen different things - layer, reveal character, draw links to characters, foreshadow, show beauty (or humor) and orient the reader. In my WIP my mc is a burnt out director who visits his child star's shabby home near the beginning of the book. The boy is fourteen years old and the description of his room is important to show his creative interests. The boy also has numerous rooms that he occupies throughout the book but they are shown in contrast as the book constantly utilizes spaces as 'sets' mocking them as opposed to reality which has already been pushed into the past. During the description the mc Kavado has this to say about Finlay's room -
    his room proved to be the space Kavado had been wanting to witness his whole life – the room like a set – that could only be a set for real rooms never revealed so nakedly their owners.

2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Relevant to incorporating it into action and character perspective, I think a key thing is break it up. You can have moments where you exposit a bit more for a paragraph or so but no more than that. But if you have a paragraph of exposition plus a number of little references and hints you can get across two or three paragraphs worth of information over the course of the scene without it being in one go. Try to put it where it seems more relevant or natural, but I argue for a little bit of stopping to smell the roses. Writing advice is often like; "EVERYTHING HAS TO BE PURPOSEFUL WHAT ARE YOU DOING EXPOSITING NO MORE THAN NECESSARY IS THAT RELEVANT TO THE PLOT?!!" And while generally people, especially in high-fantasy, might need this advice to encourage them to tone it down because they are leaning way on the high-side, I would hate a book that leant too much on the other. Even if it feels somewhat exposit-y I don't mind as long as it doesn't drag on or seem like boring details. The way you tell it makes a significant difference to that impression.
    Things like Lord of the Rings were written with a very slow pace and lots of exposition- and while I wouldn't advise writing like Lord of the Rings (probably the single biggest cause of the number of purple-prose amateur fantasies) it does show people, even in the modern day, are willing to read more long and purple stories. Which is where what kind of story it is and audience it has is the relevant question. Too much exposition will be much easier a line to cross it feels like the kind of story that wouldn't do that much and the audience isn't expecting it. Whereas if they do expect it somewhat and it feels appropriate then they will have a higher tolerance.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020