?

Best method for preparing video essay draft?

1. Script

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Essay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Storyboard

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

How to Draft a Video Essay: Script, Storyboard, or Essay?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by NoGoodNobu, Sep 20, 2019.

So I was introduced to video essays from a member of this site back in 2018 and have since gone down a long, dark rabbithole of video essayists from youtube, be it Lindsey Ellis, Movies with Mikey, NerdSync, Contrapoints, Patrick (H) Willems, Folding Ideas, Accented Cinema, Cold Crash Pictures, Beyond Ghibli, and on & on.

I have since determined I would like to disappear into the unending sea of aspiring film video essayists and drown in obscurity beneath the barrage of unforgiving waves that is the youtube algorithm. It’s my dream.

So I have my first project determined and have begun repeat viewings of the film as well as further research for topics I’m looking into including in the video essay.

I believe I am ready to begin the writing process in preparation for the recording & video editing portion.

However, I am unsure what the best mode of writing a first draft for a video essay is:

Should I be trying to write a script?

Should I be typing up a draft essay?

Should I be creating a storyboard?

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I did find this: https://libguides.royalroads.ca/videoessayhowto/storyboarding
    Which should be a good point of entry into how to go about what you are wanting
    to do. Seems to have a fairly decent amount of info through the process.
    Good luck. :superidea:

NoGoodNobu likes this.
  3. NoGoodNobu

First, thank you @Cave Troll sincerely for responding to this thread.

I understand in retrospect this medium or format is relatively in its early phases or not so widespread, so I see how it might be difficult for people to answer.

I clicked your link and read it.

The interesting thing about the link was, while “storyboard” was a part of the title, the content of the article actually spoke nothing about it.

It was all pre-planning, about audience and tone and style. The only real mention of storyboarding was a link of a google image search of storyboard templates after the article had concluded.

Oddly it didn’t go into the writing aspect of the essay portion of “Video Essay” at all.

I’m starting to think I should just compose a straight forward essay draft, as it is a writing form of which I am most familiar and have plenty of experience in.

I’ll just try keep in mind what I’m writing is to be spoken, accompanied by various visuals, and that the topics are slightly more segmented than fluidly transitioned.

Worst case, I have most of what I want to say typed up finally so when I go back for my second or millionth edit, I can tweak and re-write it to be more appropriate to perhaps one of the other two formats.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. NoGoodNobu

Oh shoot, maybe I’ve been looking at this all wrong.

I kept thinking about it in terms of formal essays, scripts (ie screenplays), or storyboards (like animation) and how none of them seemed quite right.

All of them seem to fall short in one of the elements of either the visuals or the essay.

But maybe I’ve been shortsighted. Maybe I’ve been overlooking the obvious.

Maybe what I should actually be looking at is how you script a Documentary?

Cave Troll likes this.