1. crashbang

crashbang Active Member

Currently Falmouth Uni, normal home is in Essex.

how to fake a nuclear threat

Discussion in 'Research' started by crashbang, Apr 8, 2010.

hi guys. use your imaginations here, because im not looking to create an april fools day joke or anything - i have an idea based around a city being held hostage by a guy who claims to have a nuclear device in the midst of the city. how would you go about doing this? moreover, how would the authorities figure out that it was a fake bomb threat?

just throwing it out there - i have ideas but not solid ones. so shoot.

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

If the hostage taker and the authorities are in communication, I don't think it would be long before they realised it was a fake nuclear bomb in most situations. Hoaxes are usually called in by cranks without, I assume, much working knowledge of fusion. The authorities would ask details if in contact, the hostage taker would be unable to provide them.

It would take a criminal mastermind to pull off an effective hoax of this type, and it wouldn't be purely a hoax therefore, it would be a hoax to distract the authorities while another action was taking place. Think Die Hard 3.

Now, I'm no expert, but a nuclear bomb would likely be substantial in size, at least in its casing to ensure safe transit. It would also be very difficult to obtain. All these things would raise suspicion in the authorities and ultimately lead them to question the authenticity of the claim. It might be wiser to promote some kind of "dirty", chemical or biological bomb instead - much easier to manufacture and transport I'd say.

3. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Not necessarily. During the Cold War both the Soviet Union and the United States tried to develop whats known as a Suitcase Nuke. While neither side will acknowledged to have made it small enough to fit into such a suitcase. They did develope Mini Nukes, which could be carried in specialized Backpacks. They were not nearly as powerful as their warhead brothers. But they could do some serious damage to a city and leaving it uninhabbitable for a long time. Not to mention the potential for wind to carry the radiation.

While not easy to come by, there are supposedly like a hundred loose nukes in the world. I also believe the US may have some nukes missing. Can't remember the article I read this in though.

4. crashbang

crashbang Active Member

to give a little more detail.
    - it would be a suitcase nuke.
    - alot of the inner city has already been blasted apart by hidden explosive.

see if that effects your viewpoint.

5. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Why detonate an conventional explosive and then threaten a nuke? That's half your hand played already.

6. crashbang

crashbang Active Member

to suggest you are not bluffing in this case.

7. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

If they know you have a nuke, they will not call your bluff. If you detonate a conventional device they will assume that your nuke is next, and will authorize all means in stopping you (you will be a smoking crater).

Read up on hostage negotiation techniques to see when they pull out the stops and just take down the bad-guys.

8. zaphod

zaphod Member

One of the concerns right now among Homeland Security and anti-terrorism agencies is that someone could steal some radioactive material and duct tape it to some TNT and make a dirty bomb. This might not flatten a town like Hiroshima but it would sicken a lot of people and ruin whole blocks with contamination.

I would think the authorities would have an accountability of all these materials though. And if none of it is missing, then they could call the bad guy's bluff.

Your villian would have to do a whole lot more than be like some 8th grade punk calling in a bomb threat.

9. crashbang

crashbang Active Member

thanks very much guys. its complex and i wouldnt be able to really explain it to the full with any accuraccy but you guys have made me reconsider and refine a few things. in fact i just thought of a much better idea. so cheers again.

10. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    Type anonymous into google... those guys were able to fake bomb threats all over America.

The bombs had supposedly been planted at several stadiums. Football matches etc were cancelled because of it.

Ask them... they know they're stuff.

11. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Pretty sure that was one guy, and was surprised it was taken seriously. Hell he even handed himself over tot he authorities. It was after he posted something on the 4chan boards and a few other websites.

Though I am pretty sure Fox News blew the whole thing out of proportion when they did that report on Anonymous. Going as far as blowing up a van in a dramatized recreation.

12. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant

I saw that on youtube, it was hilarious... Yeah, how they can find that and miss some other things, like that guy who killed a few people at his school, the authorities didn't know about it even though there'd been a vid on youtube saying he was going to do so.