1. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!

How to find an agent? I am lost.

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by Gravy, Jan 3, 2022.

So, tell me everything about how to find an agent. I tried a few years ago using writers market and had no luck. I write Historical fantasy and mythology for adults. I have a lot of gay characters who just happen to be gay and I am so lost when trying to figure out how to even market my books to agents.

HELP?

2. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

I'm no great authority on this as I have not yet succeeded in acquiring an agent. That said, if I were you, I'd start by looking at: https://querytracker.net/literary_agents.php

In the 'Select a Genre' section choose LGBTQ+. Go through the agents in your country and follow their instructions diligently on how to make a submission. Their details of what they're looking for should help you word your pitch.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Authors tend to thank their agents in the acknowledgment section of books. If you can find books that share some similarities to yours, those agents are probably worth a try. Or just books you really like. There are also search functions for agents on Duotrope. Duotrope is a paid service ($5 a month or $50 a year), but they have a large database that is easy to sort through to find agents and publishers that are potential good fits. I recommend both these methods.

Gravy likes this.
  4. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Find agents who are actively looking for the kinds of books you're writing and submit. Follow the instructions to the letter. Expect a ton of rejections.