1. Shahar

Shahar New Member

Dreaming texts

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Shahar, Aug 28, 2011.

I'm quite new here and to writing. Recently my life came to a situation in which I couldnt pursue my writing any longer. Now my life have come to hulting point from which only time will tell which turn will I take. In the meantime I've stopped writing and reading just because I know that I might not be able to continue my work in the near future. As a result I sometimes wake from my sleep not long after I fell into it. In my dreams, as weird as it may be, I dream of words. I even sometimes have conversations with myself (I presume) about which word to choose. So I wake up and try to write everything as fast as I can.

I write this because it upsets me. I want to keep writing yet I dont want to leave work unfinished out of fear that I might disconnect emotionaly from it.
    What do you think?

Sorry for any spelling or grammer mistakes, English is not my first language.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

You don't say what your life situation is that prevents you from writing. You also don't mentione your age. So, it's hard to make a comment.

In my own life, I have gone through several stretches when other obligations or pressures denied me the time to write. It's hard during such times to keep your focus, and a beginning writer may be easily discouraged. What I have usually done when I can't dedicate a lot fo time to writing is 1) read anything related to what I'm writing about (a great way to deal with topics that need to be researched) and 2) continue to jot down ideas for characters and ideas for story lines. The human brain is never completely at rest, and a writer is always inventing new realities, so writing down what you invent, even if in a notepad while on a bus or train, is helping you to stockpile ideas that will be useful in the future.

You say you are new to writing. In that case, it is safe to say you are still learning about it. So, Item #2 above can be expanded to include anything that teaches you the art of writing - literature of any kind, any form, any genre. Read it for pleasure and then read it again to learn what it has to teach you. Read in whatever time you have for it, and don't worry about how long it takes.

In my own life, I first put my writing on hold while I went to graduate school. But when I was half way through my PhD, I realized I wasn't going to be able to teach in college any time soon, and my wife and I wanted to start a family, so I put my writing on hold for another five years while I went to business school for an MBA. By then my daughter had been born and I was starting out in my business career, and heavy hours were the norm, so I put my writing on hold for another few years.

But it was never really on hold. I was always reading about things I wanted to research and always hatching new ideas and writing them down. The thing is, I never really lost sight of my dream, and I kept working at it when time allowed. If you really want to write, you will work through the tough times and do what needs to be done. If you decide that the only way to write is to spend full time on it without any other cares in the world, you won't have the resilience to stick with it.

Besides, real world experience, even grinding away at a job you don't like or struggling to help your family, will inform your writing with a depth of human experience that will make it more authentic and interesting to read.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. CottonCandi

CottonCandi Active Member

Sounds like writing is in your blood like the rest of us sad folks, lol We all need a break from writing sometimes but it never last too long and that craving takes back over whether we like it or not. Why did you give up reading?

4. Shahar

Shahar New Member

Thank you for taking the time to post here :)
    I just finisihed school and in my country that means I have to enlist to the army for quite a long time. I think its just a part of my personalty to not start things I know I wont be able to finish. But this I enjoy very much. This is a hobby I want to be able to pursue on as much as I can and putting it aside for a long time seems like giving it up.

5. riridoll1

riridoll1 New Member

you can finish. Writing can be done anywhere. You may not have the time to write a novel but you can write about your experiences, dreams etc. If its only a few minutes of writing you can do every now and then, just do it. If its your passion never loose sight of it. You are fortunate to have such an immense passion for something. Most people let their passion's sink to the bottom of life's heavy waters only to regret it when the years have passed. Sure it doesn't mean you are going to be an established author pulling in tons of money while you are spending long days in the army, but you'll still be feeding your creativity by doing something you love when you can. Godspeed.