Tags:
  1. labelab

labelab Member

how to get back into reading?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by labelab, Mar 12, 2020.

I love love love getting lost in other universes. But lately, my attention span has started to get really bad. It took me a year to slog through crazy rich asians.

How long does it take to regain interest into books?? I just find all the main characters so annoying and so hard to root for lmao

help

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Maybe try another genre, one that you haven't read before. That way you won't know what to expect and the tropes you got used to will be absent.

For example, if you used to read SciFi, try urban fantasy. Or if you want to be even more radical, go for memoirs/nonfiction. You'd be amazed what's out there.

J.D. Ray and labelab like this.
  3. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

How about giving audiobooks a try? Listening to some stories being read to you could probably get you back into reading again. It’s also a lot easier when you get to listen to something in your own time. You could probably put one on before to help you relax at night or over the weekend when you got some time for yourself. You could try listening to a mystery or a crime story or something. That might keep you in some suspense :D

Lifeline and labelab like this.
  4. labelab

labelab Member

ooh great idea!! thank u!

5. labelab

labelab Member

all the romance tropes are so old now,,, maybe i’ll give something new a try ;)

6. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

+1 for switching genres. I was mostly reading detective books and sci-fi before my love of reading dried up. Then I discovered transgressive fiction and haven't looked back since.

7. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

I think switching genres is a good suggestion. I’ve been a pretty steady hard sci-fi reader for decades. Then my reading waned. There were excuses, of course: work, lots of fun stuff on TV, etc. But the fact was that I wasn’t interested in reading much. Then my neighbor gave me a copy of The Oregon Trail, a memoir of a guy who, in 2012, bought a covered wagon and three mules and, with his brother, set off to retrace (as much as feasible) the Oregon Trail. Totally out of my zone, great book. Then I picked up Lonesome Dove. OK story, lots of writing issues to trigger my editor’s brain, but a different genre than I normally read. Now I’m itching to find something else to read, but I’m also itching to write more, which had been stalled as well.

Sometimes it just takes a little kick from the side to put things right.

labelab and Lifeline like this.