1. ketanco

ketanco Member

Hand sketches in a book

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by ketanco, Dec 20, 2020.

Does having hand sketches in a book about engineering and construction look amateur and bad work or they might be ok and look even original, as they are done directly by the author's hand, as long as they are drawn well and informative? What do you think? There will be a lot of them, but they are mostly simple sketches that can be drawn in under 10 minutes each, by hand.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I think it depends on the quality. I work with a lot of engineering drawings—some hand-drawn work by a draftsman looks as professional as anything done using a computer. If they’re high-quality I don’t see why it would be a problem.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Are they meant to be hand sketches within the context of a story? As in a character actively drawing in a scene?

4. ketanco

ketanco Member

Not at all. I am an engineer only explaining concepts about engineering, construction, structures etc.... sketches are just to explain better, easier.

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Okay. You should be fine so long as the quality of the drawing accurately represents what it purports to be. Whether including drawings elevates the story or not is a different issue.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

in a trad deal the chances are high the publisher will recommission an illustrator if necessary

if you are self publishing be aware the the more illustrations you put in the higher the file size will be and thus the more you'll get charged for delivery on KDP etc

Cephus and Homer Potvin like this.
  7. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

As well as the overall cost of a physical book because they will have to use better paper which costs you more.