1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

How to get Wordpress publication up and running

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Jan 18, 2021.

Hello all,

I have made a Wordpress page to house my online literary publication but it’s difficult getting started. I’m not quite tech savvy so it’s difficult trying to get my pages and organizations sorted. I’ll post a link to my very messy and quite fucked page below for you to guide me across the way.

what I’m having trouble with is learning how to make my page be seen by others. If I don’t go directly to the page, it won’t show up anywhere even if I put in the domain or key words. Also, I created a Facebook page for it and Instagram page so that people can find the social media pages via the buttons on my contact page but when you click on it, it says ‘page not found’.

Another thing I’m having trouble with is organizing the webpages via the Wordpress app. Whenever I make changes or edit something, I go on my browser and see if it’s there but nothing saved. I always make sure to find ‘publish’ buttons but it’s confusing to an extent.

Can any tech savvy writer help a brotha out? Much appreciated!

Dole

2. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

About visibility, try to write about something other than your work. Link other blogs. Better yet, comment on other blogs. Promote other writers' work so they'll promote yours. Start an informal network for now.

I can't help with your technical difficulties because I use Blogger. And what I know of Wordpress doesn't make me want to change, though Blogger used to be a lot better than it is now.

If you're having trouble, maybe you could find an online tutorial. Try it.

3. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I assume you mean by Google?

Google has crawlers which may not have indexed your page. Give them a bit of time (my page needed about two weeks until it showed up in search results), but in terms of visibility (on which page of google results your page shows) it's difficult to get a good rank. Has to do with keywords on page, how often your page is linked to from other pages and lots more. I don't know much about it myself, that's why I hesitate to put my hand in my mouth and give advise that may or may not work out.

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.
  4. Malum

Malum Offline

IONOS merged well with Tumblr for me in terms of domain management. I'm assuming you've attempted to integrate it with a paid domain. This is either something you need to work out for yourself or get someone trustworthy from real life or otherwise to guide you through it hands on...get into a Wordpress IRC channel or something of the likes. There are always people willing to give you their time to explain these things properly, be it to refine their own knowledge or just be good Samaritans. I had a guy lead me through an Arch Linux installation for over ten hours from the goodness of his heart once. There are some great people out there.

Better to talk to someone real-time, in a specific IRC channel whilst explaining your issues as clearly as possible as opposed to asking for help on this forum. Not me though. I'm pretty useless lately.

5. Alex R. Encomienda

Here is the link to my updated site. Let me know if it needs work! I haven’t sent out submission calls so nothing is published on the page yet. I’m trying not to be amateur about this so please do give a look and let me know what you think.

https://happinessliteraryjournal.wordpress.com/home/

6. Murkie

Murkie Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Rhythm of War - Brando Sando & Rebel's Creed - Daniel B Greene
    A couple of quick things I spotted:

Your menu is being displayed in a mobile format on my full-sized browser. People generally expect to only see the 'hamburger' style menu on mobile devices.
    The menu isn't opening on all your pages.
    Your title Home is linked to https://happinessliteraryjournal.wordpress.com/ which doesn't have any content. While your Home link is directing to /home. Your website will flow better if you move the content from /home into the root of the domain, this is pretty standard for websites.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

i assume at some point you're going to buy a proper url

that aside at the minute its just a screen with some writing on it... its hard to say much about the design until it has some content

8. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

Hi, congrats on getting this far. It looks like you've got your niche defined, which is good news!

I'd suggest a little more white space (pink space?) on your 'About' page. Break the larger paragraphs up and break the whole page up with relevant, keyworded H2 headings. e.g. Below your image, you've written 'Happiness'. Change this to a H2 heading and TBH probably better to head it 'Happiness Literary Journal'.

If your goal is to attract submissions, perhaps have a dedicated 'Submissions' page giving further details, rather than buried at the bottom of the 'About' page.

9. Alex R. Encomienda

Thank you very much!

10. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Oh boy, now I see what you mean! Yes, you need help, more help than any of us can provide here in a single reply. You have to learn how to do links, you have to learn how to start from scratch. My best advice at this point is to go to online tutorials about “how to set up a Wordpress blog”. Also check the videos. It may seem complicated at first if you have zero experience, but it will get better once you figure out how it works.

Good luck! And do watch online video tutorials. They’re free and they’re meant to help.