1. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

Is this a good way of introducing the 2nd MC?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by IlaridaArch, Apr 24, 2016.

Hey good folks, I need your honest opinions with this.

My first MC is a musketeer, whose journey goes with a patrol of the local forces. The first 4 chapters are with him and after sub-plot "is delt with", a huge storm arrives and the patrol decides to take shelter in the wild and chapter ends.

The 5th chapter would be with the 2nd MC, starts at a ship which got into trouble in that storm. Their location is far away from the previous guy. Note that these locations and names are somewhat familiar to the reader, as they are mentioned before.

Worthwhile is that this specific storm isn't just any storm, but it plays the key role in the main plot (it's a fantasy world, where nature is more strong and rough than earth's nature).

Is this problematic way to introduce the 2nd main character? Would you feel bit lost to suddenly jump into another guy just like that?

If so, what would be more comfortable way of introducing the 2nd guy?

2. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

I wouldn't necessarily feel a sudden jump, depending. In Star Wars for example, Luke Skywalker is introduced quite a ways later, after Darth Vader.

However, is their anything you can do with the second MC before he gets into the same storm as the first MC, or does he/she, not have any character background that is worth going into story-wise, before the storm?

IlaridaArch likes this.
  3. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

I'm thinking back on the books I read that jumped to a new POV, and they generally didn't need much of a transition. Jane Lindskold, David Weber and more rapidly shift to never-before-seen characters. However, these characters do need an introduction, something that shows what the character is like and gives the reader some idea of what to expect when that character is present.

As a side note, I do recall one book where I was completely baffled by the new POV transition. That went from third person in the near future to first person in a world full of talking animals with names like Sultan Tummyfat. They were so utterly different that I skipped the talking animal sections because I had no idea what to make of them, which became a problem when the animals time-traveled to the near-future part of the story.

IlaridaArch likes this.
  4. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

I don't think it will be problematic. As a reader, I'll assume that any POV character is important to the story and that they'll all meet up at some point. I'm doing much the same thing - two POV characters who won't meet until well into the story.

IlaridaArch likes this.
  5. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

What if it was all set in the same city, and the henchman didn't leave? The same city will become haunted with the nightmares instead. Will that cause any problems for your story?

IlaridaArch likes this.
  6. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

As long as the two will intermingle at some point, it's fine. It's just a POV novel, and many people do this.

IlaridaArch likes this.
  7. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

Thanks for the opinions, guys & gals of WF. :)

8. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

I would be fine with that. Since you mentioned that the location is familiar to the reader I wouldn't be completely lost. As a reader I'd just try and connect with the place and try to understand its importance in the plot.

What book is that? :eek:

IlaridaArch likes this.
  9. Writeorflight

Writeorflight Active Member

Maybe while your first MC (the Musketeer) is on patrol, you could somehow have your second MC (on the ship) being mentioned? That may smooth things out. But I am not a pro at any of this, so don't take my word for it. Otherwise your original idea sounds perfectly fine the way it is. Like the others' have said, I would assume the second MC is important and that to two would meet up at some point. Hope this helps!