1. Alphacharizard

Alphacharizard New Member

How to handle the same character across a TV series/manga/etc trilogy?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Alphacharizard, Aug 12, 2020.

As far as I know, ain a TV series/manga /similar the characters arcs must have an ending, or at least no let the audience feel that something is missing, but the thing is that I want to make some characters have a big character arc during the whole trilogy.

My main concern is a villain who basically changes sides, something like Zuko from Avatar.

In part 1 he wants to earn the antagonist's approval, but doesn't get it, in part 2 he joins the good guys, develops a deep friendship with them but betrays them at the end and disappears, and in part 3 he is a villain who at somepoint starts a redemption journey.

Honestly I don't know how to make the guy relevant in part 1.
    Also I feel that I'm ruining the character by making him develop a deep friendship just to throw it away at the end in part 2, so I need to know how I can make him end that part in a satisfactory way. Maybe making him starting a some sort of personal journey wanting to find his destiny, questioning himself could be an option.

Also I would like to know any general advice to apply to any other kind of character.

Thank you.

2. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

The entire series must have a large arc for the character to go through, but each individual story must have a smaller arc that leads on the overall journey.

Alphacharizard likes this.
  3. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

Don't go for one big, massive arc. Each book should have it's own arc that then leads to the start of the next arc, but structure it so that the end of the final arc is the logical progression of where the character started out.

EX:

Why did he want the antagonists approval? Father/big brother character? Idolized due to being rich and powerful?Protection from being abused/mistreated by being aligned/protected by 'the strongest XX'?

He tries to get it from the antagonist and either realizes he can't get it from them or they won't provide it and becomes disillusioned. Well he is starting to become disillusioned he hears about/sees/encounters the good guys and starts to realize/appreciate/lust for what they have/can provide. He comes to idolize them and set them up on a pedestal.

This slow realization can build over the course of the 1st book causing him to join the good guys in 2nd book.

2nd book can have him realize that this perfect image he had constructed in his head of what the good guys are is not true. Now, after having his idol/mentors 'fail' him a second time, he gives up and decides that if he can't get what he wants he might as well destroy it all.
    You never mentioned what happens with book 1 antagonist, but if still around, this would be good time for overthrow/coup.

Book three can deal with him realizing that he still isn't getting what he wants out of being the one in charge and come to accept more of his own and other peoples flaws and realize that 'perfect' doesn't exist.

4. TheOtherPromise

TheOtherPromise Senior Member

From what I can tell about redemption arcs across a trilogy they normally plant the seeds of a potential redemption in the Part 1. Part 2 has them develop to the point where they face the first major temptation to reject the dark side, so to speak, near the end but instead cling to it. Then in Part 3 they regret that decision and turn towards the light.

Now this isn't a complete rule and depending on how you want the arc to go there is flexibility, but that's how it normally goes down from my experience. Like in the aforementioned, and universally beloved, Zuko's arc.

With that in mind having your character grow too close to the heroes in the second book is probably a bad plan. In order for it to work in a way that doesn't reflect badly on him he should still value the antagonist over any of the heroes at this point. He hasn't yet realized he doesn't need the antagonist's favor, that will come in the third book and instigate the reversal.