Tags:
  1. jersydvl

jersydvl New Member

A question about Barnes & Noble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jersydvl, Sep 28, 2011.

As this is my first post, let my quickly introduce myself. Im a 28 y/o male from NJ who has had an interest in writing for a long time. I have recently become interested in finishing a story, whether it takes form of a novel or whatever, however I would be lying if I said I would not enjoy being published. I've been told I was gifted several times in high school and in college, but never thought too much into it till recently. I would mention the plot of my story, but at this time it is still a random collection of ideas, however I would love to share it when it is a coherent concept.

Now for my actual question, does anyone here ever go to places such as Barnes & Noble to write? I see people there all the time with laptops, I assume they are writing or studying. I only ask because I know some business frown on people just hanging around, not spending money. I would of course spend money on food and drink in the Starbucks they have there, as well on books (I already do anyway). If they are cool with this it would greatly benefit me I feel. I can get out of the house which is full of distractions, I can use the free wifi to research for my story and as it is connected to the mall I take my shopaholic girlfriend to the mall and not have to suffer through the actual shopping myself.
    Normally I enjoy going to the park or to the waterfront in town to get some alone time to write, read, etc, but if B&N is cool with this then that would be awesome.

Maybe it is a dumb question, but I appreciate any response I get. Thanks in advance.

-Justin-

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why don't you just ask some of those folks who are doing it, instead of us?

3. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Nice to meet you! If you're spending money there, then chances are it's fine. Plus, why would they have free wi-fi if they didn't want people to hang around and use it? Bookstores are a great source of inspiration, so it just makes sense that writers would find the atmosphere suitable for writing. As long as you agree to leave when it's closing time, I'm sure no one will have a problem with it. :)

4. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I have never once been approached by an employee while sitting at a book store of any kind.

But if you really want confirmation, just call them up and ask.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

These days, brick-and-mortar bookstores are getting hammered by the internet, and my impression is that they will not mind at all, especially if you pop for a $5 latte while you're there. Like you, I have seen lots of people in B&N's cafe sections on their laptops. I've never seen any employee ask any of them to leave.

As for me, I would find writing in such a place extremely distracting.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I like to find a nice independent coffee store. The coffee is better and the people are generally friendlier. I've heard of chains like Starbucks asking people to leave after long periods of times if that location is very busy and the person sitting there isn't buying much. Another chain store where I used to live removed all of the outlets from the customer areas of the store, so you were limited by your battery life. I've never had problems personally, though, and particularly not at small, independent coffee shops. I like writing in them.