Tags:
  1. Ragne

Ragne Member

How to integrate philosophy subtly? // Intertextuality

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ragne, Sep 25, 2019.

Hello there
    general kenobi

I'm a huge fan of philosophy. And when I write, I have the bad habbits to put the word of great thinkers in the mouth of my characters.

Fromb Hobbes to Montesquieu, without forgetting Jacobson, Bergson, Saussure and, mainly, Kierkegaard and Wittgeinstein, I like to quote them. I like to emphasing theirs ideas, using them in a situation as an exit way of the spirit to answer to a dilemna.

That's tricky because the line is really dead smouth between the plagiarism (oh bad Ragne you stole the idea of someone else) and the gratuitous exhibitious in mind. (oh bad Ragne, you've activating your trap card and the readers had to read three page of freaking philosophy to understand what's happen).

How do you confront yourself to that problem ? Since I'm dealing with it, I've understand that one of the key point is the measure (not doing it too much) and the work on the sentence to make it easy to understand.

(To be honnest, the question concern all the art in general, I like way too much to quote, one of my master is Calvino, disciple of the intertextuality. I can't imagine writting without giving the cultur picture of my character, what did he like, and how did that create him as he looks?)

2. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

You've reignited my hate for philosophy. Different strokes. But some strokes are better than others (e.g. Michael Phelps vs. me).

3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

The Matrix trilogy has Jean Paul Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation at it's core. The first movie is a good example of introducing this subtly and authentically, the others are good at doing it in an overbearing manner.

4. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

I use metaphors in world-building and narrated conclusions about ethical dilemmas. My core topic is the definition of what's real approached from observers at the opposite end, because nothing physical would matter if nobody was alive to experience it.

World metaphor
    If everyone you will ever know lives on the same floating island, you're no longer lost at sea. Being trapped is only a state of mind based on our needs.

Dilemma
    If someone in denial mistakes a person with amnesia as a relative lost at sea, it doesn't matter much that they don't share blood relations if both think of the other as family. They were lonely and now they have a group they can trust.

5. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

On a note serious note from me, I hope people see the philosophical concepts in my novel, and the deep, underlying meaning. Now, there won't be any, but hopefully people think there are, so it appears as if I'm more intelligent than I actually am. Literally no part of that is a joke, lol.