1. Mahaphony

Mahaphony New Member

Novel How to let the creativity flow?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Mahaphony, Aug 27, 2019.

Hello everybody,

I am going to start writing my first book and I need your help.

I have never written a book yet, only texts in a journalistic context. I don't even know how to start writing a book, because the topic I am going to write about is... huge, and that is an understatement.

Now I realise that maybe it's not the best idea to start with such a big project as your first book, but let's just say it's very important I do and I don't have unlimited time in order to finish it.

My biggest problem though is that I don't seem to be able to be creative on command. My creativity comes at the most unfortunate times (usually when I am in bed trying to fall asleep) and as soon as I attempt to write it down when these moments come, it's like the stream of consciousness vanishes instantly, leaving me with nothing but a white sheet paper. If I just stay in bed I will continue being creative, but unable to write it down.

Does anyone have any tipps for me on how to solve my problem? I would appreciate any kind of help.

And I am from Germany, by the way.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Maybe writing short stories from ideas that pop into your thoughts,
    or try writing prompts to get the writing flow started?

I know when I get stuck in a story, I find myself writing shorts that
    may relate to what I want to write, or to let out the clutter by writing
    those extra thoughts on the page. They don't have to be for anything
    that you intend to share or even publish, more getting the writing
    juices flowing and getting comfortable with putting words on the
    page.

Another thing that might help is reading books and stories that
    are similar to what you are intending to write to get an idea of
    how/where to start it.

Though it might be helpful to make outline to get the ball rolling,
    and give you time to build the framework of how you want to put
    it all together.

Good luck and happy writing. :)

jannert and Mahaphony like this.
  3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Would you expect to be able to play the piano or do ballet instantly? Writing is a similar combination of practice, skill, and art. No one's good at it immediately, and you have to practice in order to get better and to be able to do it on demand.

Practice, practice, practice. I recommend jouraling by hand every day to get your brain accustomed to writing on demand (and even then, you'll have off days when the writing won't flow). I once had a teacher who said it takes 25 minutes of free-writing by hand to fully engage the creative side of the brain and shake off the cobwebs enough to make things flow. I don't know where she got that stat, but it's always been true for me.

So, journaling by hand every day before moving onto your project helps. When you can't write, research. That will keep you engaged with the book until next time and will feel familiar to your journalism side.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think writing really comes down to discipline more than any random spark of inspiration. And discipline is not easy. Since you've done journalism, I'm sure you had to work with deadlines. Give yourself deadlines. Daily or weekly word counts. A chapter a week. Routine is way more of a friend to a writer than inspiration. I forget who said that, but there's a quote from a famous writer which pretty much says the same thing, and I totally agree with this.

Mahaphony likes this.
  5. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

You could try speaking it. Record it on your phone, or dictate to your secretary.

Oops, sorry, I shoulda read the whole of your post before responding. I just saw this bit -
    hmm... quite the quandary... in that case I'm not sure what to suggest... :superthink:

Viel gluck.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Mahaphony and Cave Troll like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi, Mahaphony.
    Is your book going to be fiction or nonfiction?

7. AnimalAsLeader

AnimalAsLeader Active Member

Hello and greetings from Bavaria!

Writing a story is like composing a song: You can wait for the spark of inspiration, but your first song will probably be bland and boring and something others have done already. But once you learn music theory, about melodies, chord progressions, etc. you will find yourself writing much more complex, interesting and original music.

I have discovered that for me there are things that affect my creativity. Working out, sleeping well, listening to some music that doesn't demand all your attention are positive influences for me. Playing computer games, browsing internet, going to university (by that I mean public transport and traffic) impacts my creativity negatively. If you surround yourself with positive influences, you should have an easier time.

Also, normally the desire to write comes only if you have a story to tell... Do you have something in mind already?