1. Rosyln

Rosyln New Member

Need a place!!!!

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Rosyln, May 24, 2012.

Hi guys....
    I need your help. I've been writing a novel on fantasy and fiction. I've written down 200 pages. But what i need to know is whether it is compulsory to add a place in it to describe a character's whereabouts or its not important. I mean i don't find any place suiting my character's fight i.e, climax where she jumps down from a cliff to sacrifice herself and falls in the sea. But she is partially dead. So guys please tell me is it important to add a place or I can just continue with my story.
    The story takes place in a partial real and partial fantasy world.

If its a yes and its important then please suggest some places where there is a cliff and sea.

Thanks in advance.

2. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Does it take place in the "Real world"? We need some more details.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's not important unless it IS important to the story.

4. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

Well, there needs to be a definite sense of setting there. Otherwise, the reader will be lost as to where anything is happening.

As to the question about a cliff over the sea... I just think of places on the East Coast here in America.

5. MissRis

MissRis New Member

If there has to be a cliff and a sea I would imagine it would have to be somewhere either on the east or west coast (Canada or US) by the ocean. I mean, you're not going to find the ocean in Saskatchewan, Canada -- more wheat fields and nothingness, but there's tons of ocean and cliffs in Newfoundland, PEI, Nova Scotia etc.

Is your question more related to naming a "real world" location? (i.e. New York City?) In my story the "real world" is obviously placed in North America, but I haven't specified a city, province/state, or country. I haven't decided if I want to make it a particularly Canadian location or if that is alienating to American readers. Regardless, my inspiration was the suburban city and its surroundings that I mostly grew up in as my inspiration for the city the MC lives in.

I hope this helps?