Tags:
  1. Josephine Duke

Josephine Duke Member

Currently Reading::
    Last Night at the Telegraph Club

How to make blurb longer and better?

Discussion in 'Blurb Critique' started by Josephine Duke, Oct 27, 2021.

Right now, I’m trying to make a blurb for my NaNo project’s summary and for my author’s website, however, it’s both short at 59 words—as from what I understand the average length of a blurb is 80 to 150 words—and poorly worded. Are there any tricks or tips on how to make it bigger and better?

Here’s what I have so far:

All sixteen year old Katsumi Kuroda wants is to grow up in peace and discover who she is, but when her predatory teacher crosses the line in their fraught relationship, she falls into a dark abyss of treachery and murder. What scares her the most is her own uncertainty on whether this is a bloodlust she wants to quell.

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Possibly add something to hint at how she deals with the uncertainty and finds herself. Is there a final confrontation with the predatory teacher that serves as her moment of truth and/or coming-of-age?

3. Josephine Duke

Josephine Duke Member

The teacher is killed off at the end of the first act, as it triggers the downward spiral into her killing more people. This is subject to change, though.
    I do think it would make for a good moment of truth and/or coming-of-age, so I could hint at that in the blurb. Thanks!

4. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Wow!

It sounds like rather than finding herself, she loses herself. Out of curiosity, is she redeemed at the end, or does she keep sliding downward until she self-destructs?

5. Josephine Duke

Josephine Duke Member

She ends up being (sort of) redeemed at the end when she turns herself in for the death of the teacher, after her friend is framed for her crimes. Not for the other deaths, though, since those were never tied to anyone.

6. Josephine Duke

Josephine Duke Member

I ended up coming up with this new blurb that should hopefully be a tad better, as it does cross into the ideal word count for a blurb and take into mind the previous given suggestions.

All sixteen year old Katsumi Kuroda wants is to grow up in peace and discover who she is as a person, but her Asperger’s Syndrome only seems to get in the way of that. When her predatory teacher crosses the ultimate line against her, she falls into a dark abyss of murder and treachery. Soon, she loses herself in the debauchery of her own version of coming of age. What scares her the most is she is unsure on whether this newfound bloodlust is something she wants to stop.

7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I like that last one. Of course keep in mind as the story develops you'll be able to improve the blurb along with it. It's just a first draft now.

Josephine Duke likes this.