1. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

18th Century warships for shallow waters.

Discussion in 'Research' started by I.A. By the Barn, Jul 31, 2016.

This is a long shot I know but I was wondering if anyone knew of a type of boat that could support cannons and such yet operates in shallow waters?
    I like to over do research even for the little short things I'm producing at the moment.
    I originally looked towards the Dutch navy but it had been defeated in the era (and not producing many ships at this time) I'm basing my short stories world in so I'm a bit stuck.
    I have found Bilanders for trade, several designs for fishing boats and Lune Pilots (which I didn't have to find as I own one, she's a beaut) for piloting (well I never) and smuggling.
    Anything more recent is fine too, just as long it is shallow keeled and produced in wood (or fibreglass but could be made in wood)
    I can't find anything on the internet but one of you might just know! Thanks anyway.

2. SweetOrbMace

SweetOrbMace Member

The British Royal Navy for the end of 18th/beginning of 19th century used Sloops or Brigs for shallower water operations. If memory serves (I'm sure wikipedia and other googled sources will tell you more) Sloops had one gun deck with 18 guns and 2 or 3 masts - the earlier ones had 2 masts, the later ones 3. Brigs had 2 masts.

Have a look on YouTube for the 5th Hornblower TV movie. The main character ends up commanding the HMS Hotspur, a sloop they use to patrol close in on the French coast.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  4. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Thanks guys!