1. Meteor

Meteor Active Member

Editing resources

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Meteor, Aug 1, 2020.

Hello and thank you for your time. I was wondering if anyone could point me to some decent resources for editing. I, for lack of better words, am complete garbage when it comes to my grammar, punctuation and so forth. So I need some assistance to fix those problems. Anyone know any?

2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Most basic word processor stuff has a spell check automatically on it. You could check out Grammarly, although that's strictly for grammatical purposes and doesn't do well for style points. There are a few online places I can't remember what they're called, but one of them was a Hemingway editor thing that showed you weaker sentences. I'm sorry I can't remember what it's called.

Hope this gives you a starting point.

Edit: you can also read some basic grammar books, too. I recommend English as a second language books because it has to explain things in a way a non English speaker would understand. Not saying you're an idiot or anything, just this might be a different way to help you understand the nuances and fine print of the English language.

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Your computer can check spelling and some grammar, and mine will show me if I used punctuation wrong, but it doesn't seem to suggest how to fix it, just underlines the mistakes until I figure it out.

I have a thick book I got used from Amazon pretty cheap called The Gregg Reference Manual that gives style and punctuation rules for business writers, but it also works for creative writing. I can ignore huge parts of it (like the rules for interoffice memos or letters to important people) and just concentrate on what I need. I like that it's spiral bound, so will lay open on a desk and not close itself the way most books will as soon as you look away.

And there's the classic Strunk &White's Elements of Style. There's also something I keep seeing @Seven Crowns refer to called I think the Chicago Style Manual.

4. More

More Active Member

You don't need to be an expert grammarian to write well . Most grammar rules you probable now , but there is a need to practise looking for errors . Grammar work books can be useful. The English Grammar Workbook for Dummies is not too bad . I suggest you don't fill in the exercises, write them on paper . If you keep a note on the number of mistakes you make on the first time going through the book . When you redo the exercises , you can measure your improvement and highlight your weakness .

5. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Here's some I've found useful:
    Self Editing For Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JBI2YI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Revision: A Creative Approach to Writing and Rewriting Fiction by David Kaplan
    https://www.amazon.com/Revision-Creative-Approach-Writing-Rewriting/dp/188491019X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=revision+kaplan&qid=1596565297&sr=8-1

The First 5 Pages: A Writer's Guide to Staying Out of the Rejection Pile by Noah Lukeman
    https://www.amazon.com/First-Five-Pages-Writers-Rejection/dp/068485743X/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=the+first+5+pages&qid=1596565323&sr=8-2

And I haven't read this one yet but it's next on my list:
    Hooked: Write Fiction that Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go by Les Edgerton
    https://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Write-Fiction-Grabs-Readers-ebook/dp/B0033ZAVV2/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=hooked&qid=1596565384&sr=8-8

SethLoki likes this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I've read this probably 20 times. I used to have two copies in case I lost one of them (and I did). I created my own index for quick-reference look up. I made speadsheets with its main points to fill in with whatever I was working on. I once yelled at my wife for using it as coaster.

Stormsong07 likes this.