Tags:
  1. Flairagon

Flairagon New Member

How to name characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Flairagon, Jan 13, 2008.

With particular regard to the genre of fantasy, how do authors come up with character names? Do they just randomly stick a few phonemes together until they fiind something that sounds good, or is there any kind of methodology? Are there any kind of general rules to follow when creating character names? I'm currently trying to write something in fantasy and I'm looking for ideas on how to formulate character names.

By the way, greetings everyone, this is my first post here. :)

Edit: I'm wondering the same thing about names of cities, locatione, etc. as well.

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Names - Writing Forums

Check that topic out.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no rule, no single 'best' method... everyone has their own way of picking character names, whether for fantasy or any other genre...

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Search baby names in Google Flairagon, and see what comes up. Names for charectors needent be all creative and unusual, just a name. You could try Italian or Russian names or something if you wanted something a little different.

5. Tori

Tori New Member

Even when I write fantasy I use quite normal names. I think it helps people relate to the character even when they live in a completely different world. You could always try foreign names. I like Japanese names myself, but there's a whole world of names out there to pick from. maybe you could try a baby names website. :D