Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

Have you reading photo albums?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Vladimir Milanov, Jun 12, 2020.

Are you interested in reading the story told by the photographs? I'm not talking about just beautiful photographs, but about a folded photo album with a certain idea.

2. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

People, feel free to enter into a discussion with me. If you did not pay attention to photo albums, this is normal. I just want to draw your attention to the fact that when two photos stand side by side, they interact with each other. And they can find a new meaning that they did not have before.

3. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

Lets play the game. What do you think seeing that picture?
    (I don't know author of photo)

police.jpg

4. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

What you are describing is a slideshow.

5. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

I would not call a photo album a slideshow, but yes, there is something similar between them. So what do you see in the picture?

6. Aaron Smith

A burning building.

7. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

smoking-sleeping.jpg police.jpg

And if I put pictures in that case?
    They are gaining a new meaning?

8. Aaron Smith

Yes. Context is important.

Pictures can certainly tell a story and I think a piece of work consisting of a series of images would be interesting to view, but only if they're your own pictures.

9. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

Yes, of course, most of the pictures will be interesting only to their author and the mothers of the authors, but there are amazing albums that are interesting to everyone and there are albums that are interesting to those who understand. Unfortunately, they are not as numerous as the first group. I have not seen good slideshows yet, but I have seen great albums. But this is somewhat offtopic.

10. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

Folding images is also a kind of art. Although I did not attend the school of photography, I know that they are specially taught there. And the point is not always in the semantic context, there is simply harmony in the combination of the image. It can be very difficult to pick two images together, and sometimes it’s hard even to explain why they look good together or look bad.

Just as there are beautiful and not beautiful images, there are beautiful and not beautiful combinations of images.

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Interesting visual storytelling. You might not get a lot of engagement of that here though, since this is (as I have mentioned) a writing forum.

12. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

@Iain Aschendale

Honestly, this is not a big difference between writing with ink and writing with light. Does you, adding words into sentences, not think about how they “sound”? Don't you choose the words based on your sense of harmony, appropriate in the situation that you describe?

13. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

This is basic film language. The Montage, first used in The Battleship Potemkin, where several different images one after another tell a story.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Xoic likes this.
  14. Selbbin

Sleeping man ignores burning building in different country.

15. Selbbin

The image is by Mark Vancleave of Associated Press

Vladimir Milanov likes this.
  16. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

All people are different, not everyone has a similarly developed sense of finding associations and attentiveness. This is ok.

17. Selbbin

Sorry, I didn't mean to mock. Well, I did, but it was bad form and I shouldn't have.

Edit: But it IS basic film language. This is how you guide people to make the obvious conclusions. Sleeping man with cigarette then burning building is a pretty simplistic use of montage.

18. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

@Selbbin
    I understand your discontent: some person came from nowhere and with a smart look teaches us absolutely obvious things.

But several times I was convinced that they are not obvious to everyone. Many understand them, but not all of them, who understand, realize that they understand. I do not claim that no one except me knows this. Just because no one answered my first post, I just wanted to pay attention that such things exist.

19. Selbbin

You're right, they're not. And it's good to be open to new things, new methods and new forms, even if they are new to us and not others. We are all constantly learning.

20. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

I am self-taught, I myself learned to take pictures. I read books, watched films, and I must tell you that I was surprised how much I had never imagined how this world looked. This is very conflicting knowledge. Everyone now has a phone with a camera, and everyone can take pictures, but most of these photos, unfortunately, are terrible. Training videos on YouTube exacerbate the situation even further. You will find there a huge number of videos "How to learn to photograph in 10 minutes" or "How to learn composition in 5 minutes." Maybe I'll talk about it later, but here it will be offtopic.

And now I will offer you another game.

21. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

this is a good point - unless the OP is Mark Vancleave the forum rules do say that copyright material should be attributed when shared

22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

As iain said this is a writing forum for the discussion of writing - if you mainly want to talk about photography you might be better served by joining somewhere like 'talk photography'

23. Selbbin

To be fair this is the lounge.

24. big soft moose

this is true, but the lounge is supposed to be a light hearted distraction for regular members who are otherwise here to talk about writing

the main concern however is that photos are an absolute bastard for eating up bandwith and server capacity... a few shared in the course of usual activity is fine, and we have two threads in the lounge, one for pics people have taken and one for shots they like

But we don't want thread after thread dedicated to photography... for that people need to go to a photo forum

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  25. Vladimir Milanov

Vladimir Milanov Banned

Isn't this a section "The Lounge. This forum is for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the many aspects of writing. Talk about politics, current events, music, movies, life, or just about anything."? But if you don’t like what we are talking about here, you can go to my first topic - Introduction and select the last option in the vote.

Now, excuse me, I have to go back to looking for a good example for the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.