Tags:
  1. Temar Davis

Temar Davis New Member

How to prevent your plot from sounding similar to other shows

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Temar Davis, Aug 31, 2021.

So as you may know in my other posts, I'm making this show called Creative Minds about these kids (loosely based on my friends) who have the ability to turn into any creature from their imagination as well as create any weapon too. I like to keep my work original so as you would guess, I had to do a little research. So I stumbled upon Steven Universe and I realized that some plot ideas in my show are similar to that show. Can someone please give me some tips in making my show not similar to this show.

2. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

If you notice a similarity, rewrite it. Think what a beta reader would say and skip the extra step.

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

If you didn't base your idea on some existing work then any similarities will be incidental. I wouldn't worry about it.

BlitzGirl likes this.
  4. Temar Davis

Temar Davis New Member

Thanks for the tip. Also, can I ask you something else while I'm at it? So this series is going to have a variety of different characters/villains (fitting the imaginational nature of the show). But I need to find a way to make these characters connect with the plot so i don't make a scattered storyline. Any tips for how I can pull this off?

5. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

Generally, have your characters go through a number of experiences to demonstrate what's going on. When you think you've painted a good picture about it, start to weave in backstories of how they got to that point. If it's the antagonist, make it rough. The way I work it is that I circle back at the end of the book and draw on an element from someone's backstory to shut things down.

Maybe I'm not getting your gist, but that's how I generally tie things.

6. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

My next project is highly 'inspired' by a video game series who uses common tropes/themes / character ideas.
    The way I see it, the things that I make that are DIFFERENT from the existing series are going to be important.
    And only the people who play those games will even see the similarities to begin with, so there's that.
    All I'm saying is focus on making the things that are different/unique to your story stand out. Chances are if you execute it well people will enjoy it in spite of the similarities.

7. Temar Davis

Temar Davis New Member

Another question about show storylines: So there are some sci-fi shows (such as Rick and Morty) that introduce a variety of different concepts/villains/characters that can either be related or unrelated to the story. In my show, I want to try out different concepts for aliens/phenomenons while focus on characters that will be important to the plot. How can I switch between unrelated concepts and related concepts for the plot of my show?

8. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You should study story structure and how characters function as parts of it. Each character fits into the story in some particular way. If a character isn't necessary to the story then it shouldn't be there.

Are you familiar with the 3-act structure? That's the basis of story structure. I would begin there if you don't already know about it. You can find lots of information about it online. Then read several books on story structure. Robert McKee recently published a book about characters and how they function in a story, but his work is pretty advanced. I would recommend saving it until after you're familiar with the basics.