Tags:
  1. ohmyrichard

ohmyrichard Active Member

How to pronounce "Pausch"?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by ohmyrichard, Feb 23, 2009.

Hi, guys. Recently I've been reading the book The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, a Carnegie Mellon University professor, who delivered the famous speech, which bears the same title. I have come to page 120 and like it very much. I would like to recommend it to my students, but I do not know how to pronounce the professor's last name Pausch.I consulted my Oxford Dictionary of Pronunciation for Current English but found this name is not included. Would you please tell me how to pronounce "Pausch"?

Thanks.

Richard

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

It's pronounced like the word "pouch", except change the "ch" to an "sh" sound.

Go to youtube.com and put in his name. It'll take you to different shows he's been on, and you'll be able to hear them pronounce his name.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

So like, pawsh right?

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Not to be confused with Porsche! Sadly orthographics don't work so well with a global community. Plosive /p/ to start for sure, and probably this fricative http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_postalveolar_fricative to finish, the dipthong in the middle is probably /au/, diacritics notwithstanding.

5. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

No, the "au" in his name rhymes with "how" or "pow" - but not "paw" like a dog's paw.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my paternal grandparents' last name was 'Rausch'... it's german and pronounced the same way... so, like marina said, the author's name would sound like this: pow-sh