1. Danvok

Danvok New Member

How to properly edit your story for posting on writingforums?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Danvok, Sep 3, 2012.

There's a story I'm working on for posting here. Yet, a problem has arisen--I grapple like a wrestler with editing. A lot of the reason behind this is because I'm semi-young-- 22, and inexperienced. I know basic rules and conventions but still make mistakes this could turn people off to the story from the get-go. The problem is not spelling but rather grammar and punctuation, especially the more complicated nuances that I am learning about in such testing material as Oxford's "Modern English Grammar." This tome alone will take me more than a few months to get through and understand to an acceptable extent, and may even involve cross-referencing other materials just to understand what is being said.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a sufficent editing based on other materials, such as websites and/or guidebooks in order to properly edit your material before I post it here? I want something to reflect what I am fully capable of. I understand that you could also read through the entire sub-forum dedicated to Word Mechanics, which I'm in the process of, but this is also a long-term rather than a short-term endaevour.

2. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

I applaud your dedication and passion for quality work! It sounds like your stressing a bit too much about it though.

You could read through several tomes about grammar and learn a lot, but how will you know your specific faults unless you let someone point them out to you?

You have to balance taking the time to present a quality work for critique and getting the feedback now so that you can improve. I say, give it your best then post it and let us help you focus your tome reading on your specific trouble spots. :)

I'll be looking for your post in the workshop soon ;)

3. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

Truth of the matter? It's not going to be perfect before you get your critiques, and even if it's as close to "perfect," as it can be, there will be people that simply disagree. It's great that you're trying to get it right before showing it to others, but the point of posting is that others can help you to get through that part.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Polish it as best as you can. Read it out loud. Tidy up some strange sounding sentense but don't
    sweat it too much. I have the same problem. I don't have half the experience or education as half
    the people on this site - probably more than half and I always worry about the mechanics of writing.

The best thing you can do - is review other peoples pieces - lots of them. It'll help you
    spot flaws in your own writing.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Also, read How to Use the Writing Workshop for tips on how to format your writing for clarity on the forum, among other things. Word processor formatting does not carry over to post formatting.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Perfect it to the best of your current ability, and post it. Much of the purpose of the Review Room, as I understand it, is to learn what you're doing wrong. You'll post, we'll tell you what's wrong, you'll do better next time.