1. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

What does this mean......IMHO?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by cazann34, Sep 27, 2012.

What does it mean when someone writes, IMHO? I have no idea. I see people writing abbreviations to lots on his site assuming the reader knows what the writer means. I do not. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

2. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

In My Humble Opinion. Most if not all abbreviations used aren't site-specific, they are pretty common internet abbreviations, so if you get stuck again google should help you out.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'd always thought it stands for "In my honest opinion" rather than "humble opinion" - but either way eh?

Sometimes some abbreviations are site specific though - I was once on a wedding forum and there were abbrevs like HTB and WTB and BTB or other similar things. Took me a little while to figure out it meant stuff like "Husband to be" etc. It's also where I learnt the Americanism "hubby" for husband lol.

Personally my favourites are tbh and btw cus I use it quite often.

4. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

IMNSHO this forum probably uses less internet slang and has less sight specific memes then most forums.

5. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

It's been quite some time since I found an acronym that couldn't be solved with a quick internet search. Usually acronyms have multiple meanings, but context seems to sort that out.

6. idle

idle Active Member

Maybe not site-specific, but there are a few acronyms used here, related to writing, that I had to learn here, like POV or MS.

7. DefinitelyMaybe

There I go, proved wrong again. To decode "MS" in a writing context needed me to go to the second page of google results for "acronym writing MS". "Ms" (versus "Miss" and "Mrs") dominated, but "Microsoft" and "Massachusetts" was in there too.

8. Mckk

Ah yes I agree with Idle there - I only learn MS and POV here actually. The one that stumped me for ages was actually MC - I had to really stare at it and think what the heck it stands for.

Of course having been on here long enough I eventually figured out it means Main Character :D and have been using it myself ever since cus it's just so very much shorter, and it's something you gotta write about all the time on here lol!

9. DefinitelyMaybe

If I google "writing acronyms MC" then Clarissa Draper's IMHO very useful list of writing acronyms comes up as the first link. So, I think that's an easy one. Even for the more difficult "MS", that list was the first link on page two, and solves a lot of problems at once.

10. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Ah yes I had forgotten about the POV/MC writing-related ones, I think I found a list of these somewhere when I started posting here. Wedding sites always made me giggle because of the frequent use of 'STD' (save the date) and 'BM' (bridesmaid); I was probably too immature to be getting married :p

11. Mckk

STD is a funny one :D I've never seen that before! I was on wedding forums once cus I was really confused, cus my ex proposed to me after he broke up with me. Of course if I'd been more mature I might've noticed that that's just really strange and a complete red flag and I shouldn't even have been considering it, but there you go - young love. (and no, thank God, I did not marry my ex)

This is going reeeeally off topic now :rolleyes:

12. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

off topic, who cares.

i think the STD one is funny two. i guess we are just immature.
    also that just sounds nuts " go away where done.... want to get married?"
    lol

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

only translation i know of for 'std' is the abbreviation of 'standard' and 'sexually transmitted disease'!

14. Mckk

LOL yeh, it was reeeeally crazy. A crazy 3 years or so. Sometimes I look back and I still can't believe how stupid I was. Well anyway I nabbed a really good man in the end so all is good :p

15. Maxitoutwriter

Maxitoutwriter Member

Whenever you see something like that you can Google it.

Example, type into the Google search engine "What does IMHO mean" and it will come up easily.

16. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Thank you everyone for your help in this matter. I'm new to this site and unsure of the abbreviations/acronyms that members use regularly, I did figured out quite quickly that POV, meant point of view and that MS means manuscript but the IMHO flummoxed me.

I've read a few books were authors use abbreviations or acronyms without explanation, assuming the reading knows full well what he/she is talking about, this is especially so when guns or pistols are mentioned in fiction, not being a handgun type of gal, I am usually ignorant to the these terms.

17. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

cazann as a writer that includes handguns in a lot of his writing, i am curious which ones in particular trip you up (if any pop to mind)? something to avoid that i don't think of sense i have been around firearms all my life.

18. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I think that's the point I am trying to make I haven't been around handguns at all. Here's an example of what I'm trying to get at, from Dean Koontz's 77 shadow street He mentions; Springfield Armory XDM chambered for .45 ACP. I have absolutely no idea what kind of gun this is, and the only explanation the reader gets is its holstered.

19. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

XDM is a marketing name it stands for x-tream duty-more. its a Croatian HS (Hrvatski Samokres [had to look up that spelling] ) 2000 licensed to an american company. the ACP means Automatic colt pistol, its a pistol cartridge designed by john browning.

thanks its interesting.i would say that more important than what the acronym is it is what the object is. for example that XDM is a polymer frame ( hard plastic body) striker fire ( loading and firing the pistol preset the striker to a partially cocked position) pistol that is reliable and well liked by users. and that .45ACP is a hard hitting bullet that has a proven track recored and is one of the largest pistol rounds used in semi automatics.

20. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me James.