1. Stacie

Stacie New Member

struggling

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Stacie, Apr 10, 2008.

hi there

dont know if anyone can help me but im trying to think of plot ideas for a story set in a Castle.

please help

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What kind of story? A romance, a period adventure, a ghost story, a personal drama of present meets past, a fantasy tale?

If you begin by asking yourself questions like this, maybe that will lead you to a plot idea without other people's assistance. With such a vague starting point,you really need to narrow it down a lot before anyone really CAN help you, especially if you want it to be YOUR story.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my best advice is to take cog's advice seriously...

i'd only add the fact that successful writers don't just have a talent for writing, they have the ability to come up with ideas of their own, that they can write about...

4. Vayda

Vayda New Member

A young boy finds out he's a wizard and is taken by a giant to a castle where he is educated in the magical arts....

meh, it's been done :)

Seriously, what Cog said :-D

5. JMStone

JMStone Member

THAT SOUNDS LIKE SUCH A GOOD IDEA. I would love to read that book... write it! Write it! Write six more after xD

:D lol naturally I'm just kidding, but in all seriousness. Take Cog's advice and give yourself more than just a Castle. I've made up a character before and the plot idea seemed to come with it. A package deal.

Something like- This character would most definitely be the quiet, serious type... She's always been alone so maybe it would interesting to have her find a new relationship. Something would have to occur for conflict though- Maybe this new person isn't all they appear to be...

^Something as simple as that, after you figure out the genre you want to write in, can lead you down the plot development road =)

6. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

If you aren't sure where to go with this, write down several other ideas and play around with them until some combination piques your interest.

I started out with djinni and werewolves. Now I have a trilogy plotted out - but it took me three months and 65,000 words to realize that my magic system had some flaws in it. (The removal of those flaws made most of that 65,000 chunk unusable, unfortunately.) Avoid making the same mistake by fiddling around with different pieces until you have a good story, then try to form a coherent plot when enough of a picture has formed in your mind to enable you to do so.