1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Publishing vs Content

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by GuardianWynn, Nov 17, 2014.

I have been learning a lot here and it is really helping me with this novel idea I had. I for the first time been writing real chapters(I normally right concept ideas). I was looking up content on here and noticed that a novel of the style I want to write needs a certain range to be easier to show publishers. I haven't ever written real material before, so I am no expert on exactly how it will go but wondering if it is bad to fluff your story for the sack of word count?
    The real funny thing is with my story I have plenty of content to actually take up the higher count, but I am nervous that showing too much at the wrong times will weaken the story.
    Not sure what to do.
    The basic context of this story is a villian(from my main story actually, does this make it a spin off?) is dead and in death reflecting on her life choices. So it constantly goes back to flashbacks. I could hang on certain flashbacks longer to fluff the count, but is that bad? Or is that how writers are suppose to work?
    Any advice would be valued. :)

2. A_Jones

A_Jones Member

First and foremost if you think adding will weaken your stories integrity then don't do it! That is if you plan on getting your story published. However it might be good to exercise your writing and attempt something a little thicker. I wanted to increase my story due to low word count and now I am dealing with it every day and I am not sure what to do.

Just a little advice.

3. GuardianWynn

The funny thing is I would't be surprised if a higher word count might make it better. I am really so not sure right now. The scene that would likely be lengthed is in the characters back story, her orgins before she became well evil. One part of me says, "yes, slow, better!" but another part of me is like "this is when she doesn't have powers, kept it brief before people stop caring!" I am sooo unsure! :cry:

4. A_Jones

A_Jones Member

Well everything you write, every word, no matter how small, is important to your point. If you find words that dont matter then they need to come out, and if you feel you dont have enough then you need to put in but be careful. Things could get muddy and you dont want that.

By the way my daughters middle name is Wynne

5. GuardianWynn

Yeah, you make a point.
    Well in this precise scene, the woman is a beaten wife that gains a supernature presence in her soul. Think soul version of Venom(spiderman). It doesn't corrupt her though, the idea being that she gains power, something she hadn't had before.
    The concept of her life before and after gaining this soul is something that should be slow and consume a lot of screen time or page time in this case? Or think dwelling too long on this moment of her life is a mistake for the message?

6. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

You never know quite what your going to write until you've written it. I'd write first, then think about what you've actually written and then decide whether or not it's a good idea (you will know exactly what it is you're considering at that stage).

To make up a word count, look for all the hidden facets in your story that you can and write about them. You may decide eventually to cut a few of these but only after you've exceeded your word count target. You'll probably spend more time editing than writing. Producing a novel is not so much a process of writing with a bit of editing at the end, it's a process of editing with a bit of writing at the beginning.

7. GuardianWynn

I will try and keep that in mind, thank you. I really should have joined this place sooner :D. So helpful