1. BigJDog88

BigJDog88 New Member

How to stop rewriting the first chapter

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by BigJDog88, Jan 15, 2022.

I've been working on a novel for a couple of years now. Instead of trying to keep writing I find that just keep rewriting the first chapter all the time instead of continuing on with the story. Is this common? Any tips on how I can break this habit?

tropicanahana likes this.
  2. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

It is very common. It is called edit-as-you-go and it is an easy trap to fall into.

How to break this habit:
    1. Don't read your first chapter. Just keep writing.
    2. Make an outline, even if it is just a rough one for each chapter. If you are more of a discovery type writer, you can do this chapter by chapter, but it will keep you focused on the chapter you are on.
    3. Don't worry about telling instead of showing or any of the other advice you are going to get about writing. That is what second pass is for, once you are done with the work. Realize that your first draft is the skeleton, your muscles and tendons will be your second pass, your organs, skin and hair will be your third pass before you go on to alpha and beta reads. Don't try to put skin and hair on a skeleton.

3. Amon

Amon Member

Write the first chapter, then start the 2nd but leave it on a cliff note. That way when you return to your writing, you will want to start where you left off i.e. the cliff note of the 2nd chapter. In order to break the loop, you have to put exit markers within your mind and thought patterns when rumination ( looping thoughts ) begin.

It works!

Joe_Hall, BigJDog88 and Xoic like this.