1. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

How to use this character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Dagolas, Sep 3, 2012.

I'd like to know how to use this character, I mean talking-wise and stuff:

Victor was a magician and researcher/scientist. One day his family died and he sort of went mad, trying desperately to learn how to resurrect them. He tries several awful ways, and finally finds one that would kill the death of thousands.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I think you should create a scene first and see how it goes.
    Conversation usually evolves from what's going on and the temperaments
    involved. Maybe if he's gone a little loony have him talk to himself.

3. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

I'm not sure that that's something we can tell you. If you are asking how to write in his 'voice' then that voice, and the writing style associated with it, have to come from you.

We can help you brainstorm what kind of character he might be and give some ideas on what his perspective might sound like. Here's what I imagine from teh prompt you gave:

If he was driven enough to experiment on his own deceased family, or on other cadavers, he would certainly have to have a singular focus one that would constantly crop up in his thoughts and perspectives. I can imagine a character where everything he sees reminds him of his lost loved ones, and every event that happens to him is either for or directly against his goals. He would live in a world consumed by his loss. You could write such a character by bringing every paragraph and thought back to his unnatural goals, and skewing his perspective of innocuous events as direct assaults against his research.

Whether he was a talkative mad scientist or a silent brooding type would depend on what you need in his relation to the other characters in the story.

Does that help at all?

4. J. Blake

J. Blake Member

What do you mean 'kill the death of thousands'?

If your wondering how you're character should sound, then I'd tell you to write about him and find out. It's *your* story. Don't leave decisions like that up to anyone else.

5. Patrick Bade

Patrick Bade New Member

According to the biography of Victor, he seems like your classical 'mad scientist'. In this case, I'd recommend him doing philosophical monologues from time to time. The content of the monologues should emphasize his craziness. Also, he seems like a determined character with low ethics. You should make clear that he fears no sacrifices in order to reach his goal. He needs a serious expression, a determined way of arguing and stating opinions.

6. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

The movie "Reanimator" might be a good, relevant, watch. If you're got a strong stomach.

7. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

Sorry, I meant "cause the death of"

So I agree with Patrick, philisophic and serious sounds good.

8. ArtWander

ArtWander New Member

Maybe for practice, write the scenes that lead up to his madness? I think that would be a good idea to really get into the main character's head :)

9. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

I would imagine that a scientist would have impeccable grammar and a large vocabulary. He would be articulate.

10. Danvok

Danvok New Member

I would recommend, as others have, that you write a few scenes involving him and see how his character comes out.