Tags:
  1. WingedClover

WingedClover Member

Writing Subtle Flirting

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by WingedClover, Jul 8, 2019.

I'm at the point of the story where a character is being interviewed, but at this section the interviewer flirts with their interviewee but in a very subtle way that would either go over the audience listening to the interview. Should I just make slight compliments here and there? Any ideas?

2. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

I know you were asking about dialog, but I thought maybe more with 'show’ like trapping a hand for a moment or lingering looks. Or could be a brush of the shoulder mixed with a subtle comment.

WingedClover likes this.
  3. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Well, an interviewer researches the interviewee right? So he/she discovers something during said research that the interviewee likes and mention it during the interview. The audience would assume it to be an innocent comment, whereas the interviewee would understand the intent.

WingedClover likes this.
  4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

'Your name..?'

'Smith,' I lied, and gazed into the rose lips of the inspector. Indeed my eyes prized her lips open, and she licked her lips; the dribble stretching like a spider's pylon now pooled upon her notebooks. She wiped a single notebook, the heavy scent of her intoxication filling our suite.

'Occupation,' she moaned.

'Lavatory Attendant,' I countered this inquiry. 'I wipe the lids,' I said.

She shuddered...

Matt E, jannert, jim onion and 4 others like this.
  5. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

E.L James, is that you?!

jannert, Cave Troll and matwoolf like this.
  6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Yes, yes I am very sexy in the craft...and everybody knows that, big boy.

Hew, my negligee.

jannert, Cave Troll and Maverick_nc like this.
  7. WingedClover

WingedClover Member

Yeah I think will just incorporate flirty actions in with the dialogue to keep the interview professional to the audience but have the actions going on during the interview.

8. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Just make sure the situation/conversation is appropriate for flirting, otherwise it can be a little jarring/sociopathic.

[​IMG]

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

How does the interviewee feel about this attention? Flattered? Is there mutual attraction? Or do they feel nervous, or even frightened? Uncomfortable? Furious, that this is starting to feel unprofessional?

Or maybe THEY are attracted to the interviewer, and prefer to think everything said is a potential (and welcome) come-on? Or maybe the interviewee is one of those people who simply believes they are irresistible?

I'd say the way in to portraying the situation is to dig deeply into how it makes your POV character feel. And dig in to WHY they feel that way. And consider whether they are correct (there IS flirting going on) or misunderstanding signals (there is NO intent to flirt.)

If you get the situation very clear in your own head and understand what lies beneath, and take the time to envision the scene as fully as possible (including dialogue, body language, atmosphere) before you write, you will find the scene easy AND intriguing to write.