1. Maximum7

Maximum7 Member

I'm trying to think of 10 future inventions for Professor Angstrom to have on his list

Discussion in 'Research' started by Maximum7, Oct 18, 2017.

Im writing a sci-fi story about a brilliant professor named Professor Angstrom. Angstrom has a list in his office of 10 things he hopes to invent in his lifetime. Everything and anything is possible for him to do. What 10 inventions could Angstrom want to invent? They should be futuristic and sci-fiesque; I'm just trying to look for creative, out of the box ideas; not just "Flying car" and "Jetpack" like stuff. Just 10 creative inventions. Thanks

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Based on your posting history, your project seems to be very list-based. I wonder if it would be better to focus on smaller-scope, necessity-based things.

Why ten? Surely these inventions should matter to the story, not be ticked off a list. One or two that actually leave an impression are going to matter more than a large number of filler items. Why do you actually need exactly ten notable inventions from each era? Ten for each Kardashev civilization level? Rather than filling out a roster, try to figure out what specifically is going to serve your story and enrich your setting.

You also, frankly, seem to want other people to do a lot of 'creative' worldbuilding work for you. You should be doing these things yourself, not outsourcing them entirely. Remaking the same thread over and over again isn't going to get you more responses, because trust me, we all have our own worldbuilding and plotting legwork to do. If you don't want to do yours, it may be time to rethink your project.

Gadock likes this.
  3. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

The ansible comes to mind.

How about a radio for talking to your dog? It translates from English to Ruff.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Have you seen the Pixar movie "up"

5. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

Oh, you're right. He had a collar that did the reverse.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Pusillanimity meter. It measures how pusillanimous something or someone is.
    Novel-writing machine. (Not just a random-word printer.)
    Novel-reading machine to read what the novel-writing machines writes. (Not just a paper shredder.)
    Beererizer. A simple filter that turns water into beer.
    Ultragambler: A machine that infallibly predicts the outcome of any sports event, from a horse race to the Super Bowl. It tells you what to bet on, in other words.
    Microgod: A machine that creates tiny universes, each with its own preselected laws of physics, periodic tables, time scales, etc. for scientists to experiment on in laboratories. A university, for instance, could order a couple of dozen custom tiny universes as instructional aids in graduate physics classes.
    Sensemaker: A machine that converts what you said into what you really meant to say.

;):p:eek:o_O

izzybot and archer88i like this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Electric Monk to believe in things for you....

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Just don't cross connect it with the video recorder ;)

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  9. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

Check out the lists of future breakthroughs and ideas that will shape the future etc. in Scientific American.

10. DaydreamerGPSA

DaydreamerGPSA Member

Professors tend to have specific fields of study, so you should consider than when creating the list. A biologist might want to create a powerful fertilizer that can make plants grow ten times faster while an astrophysicist might make a new rocket engine powered by just water.

But if your Professor is a "Master of all trades", then take these two ideas I presented if you want.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I would advise reading Theodore Sturgeon's classic sci-fi short story "Microcosmic God" before writing your story. It might offer some inspiration. ;)