How will your life by different when you are a famous writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by deadrats, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Do as many successful books as I can and revel in the achievement of effectively sharing my creative visions. And also buy random stuff for future boyfriend/husband with my famous person molah.:p

2. CrusherBrooks

CrusherBrooks Member Supporter

I'm the kind of sod that just ends up overworking himself because of all the expectations put on him. So... If I were to become a famous writer, which I won't, I'd probably just sit in front of my computer day after day typing up the next draft, editing the previous one and juggling way too many projects until I self-destruct and break down. And then I'll buy an island and retire. :p
    But hey, at least you can work from your own home, cuts on commuting time!

3. Oscar Leigh

I have the reverse problem. Mine is lazy and distracted.:p

4. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Being famous is a nightmare of mine. I'd rather watch other people interact than do anything myself, being famous would make that pretty hard.

In all honesty, I'd probably try and turn as much of that fame into cash as possible, hole up in a cave somewhere, and throw money at whoever owns firefly until they bring the series back.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2016
  5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

No fame. But fortune? Hell, yeah.

I already have a pretty easy life, but more money could make it even easier. I'd have my cleaning ladies come four days a week instead of just one, and they could do WAY more--cook my meals, do my laundry and grocery shopping, etc. I'd probably move, eventually--my current house is too big, and I'd really like to go through the process of having someone custom-build a house to just MY preferences and lifestyle.

Biggest thing would be quitting my job. I quite like my job, but it takes up way too much time!

I'd probably travel a bit more--not touring, but maybe go live in a warm foreign place for, say, November and February--those are pretty nasty months in Ontario.

6. Oscar Leigh

Fox. Fox does. But Fox says the original cast are now too old to bring it back, they're older than they're roles. Though, tbh, they could just do it set later. Maybe do that plan after all...

I.A. By the Barn and Mumble Bee like this.
  7. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I had a couple of flings with fame that were brief enough that they didn't become an imposition. Of course, they were also quite local and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

For instance, I played the lead in a local commercial in Calgary during the early 1980s and for a while, almost everywhere I went, someone would recognize me. But this was just funny because most people didn't connect me with the commercial. They thought I was Aunt Edna's son or cousin Joan's boyfriend, things like that.

Later, when I played a supporting role (film jargon for: not the lead, but a large role) in a feature film, it got scary and a little bit creepy. Again, it was only a local film shot here in Ottawa, but for the first few months after the premiere, people followed me home just so they could know where I lived. I had to shave off my beard for a while to get it to stop.

And I've known a number of people who have gone on to that next level of national (and even international) fame and I can only guess at what their lives were like because they were impossible to stay in touch with after the fame because their people blocked everyone who wasn't part of their business lives.

All I can say is that I wouldn't say 'no' if my agent or publisher decided to put someone else's photo, someone younger and better looking, on the back cover. It would be the best of both worlds, IMHO.

As for what I'd do with the money? I've longed for stability my whole life (I come from a broken home) so the first thing I'd do is buy a house. After that, maybe the laptop I've wanted since forever (MSI GT80) and maybe a dog. All the rest is incidental.

8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

If they don't bring Wash back, I don't care about a revival. Boo.

Oscar Leigh and BayView like this.
  9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm with @BayView. :bigcool: No fame, thank you. That's a lot of pressure that I neither need nor want (nor do I expect to ever get). But some extra gelt? Sure. :agreed: Like Bayview, I'm thankful to have had a few strokes of good fortune gift me with an easier life than the average person. I say that with all appreciation possible (In case the Fates are listening). I had my 15 min of rather insular fame (within my field in its military guise) and I got to rub elbows with dignitaries and people of renown in military and political circles. That was enough for me.

Sack-a-Doo!, Brindy and BayView like this.
  10. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

He's a leaf on the wind, you gotta let him soar :(

GingerCoffee and Oscar Leigh like this.
  11. Oscar Leigh

(Sobs):cry::cry:
    I only have one thing to say to Fox on the matter of the cancelling; "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!" :supercheeky:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  12. BayView

Oooh, and I'd have more animals! Like, not just one riding horse, but a couple Percherons just because I love them and some old retired horses who need a good home and at least one goat and some chickens, and I'd put out even MORE bird/squirrel food than I already do (I spent $80 at the bird food store the other day!!!) and maybe I'd get involved with wildlife rehab or rescue animals or something. And the best part would be that I could hire people to do the jobs I don't like (cleaning litter boxes and stalls, morning feeding when it's -40 out, etc.) and still get all the fun!

Brindy and Oscar Leigh like this.
  13. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Oscar, I think you realize that this is an uninformed statement. Go to a real live conference instead of quoting George RR Martin. Many, not all, scientists have huge egos and care about credit. I imagine it's the same in many other fields, including writing.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Spencer1990 and NigeTheHat like this.
  14. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Not really one for fame, but if I had it, I think it depends how much I've got. A moderate level of fame I'd just try and turn into more money. A lot of fame could be useful to turn into a political platform, but I'd need a huge cult to get any meaningful amount of it.

With money, not entirely sure. Get a house somewhere with fields around it. Have a lot of pretty clothes made. Maybe hire someone to follow Nigel Farage around and constantly mock him. Simple pleasures like that.

15. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I have to agree with this. Credit and recognition are what allow the scientists to continue getting government/private money to make more and newer discoveries/advancements.

123456789 likes this.
  16. Wreybies

:stop:

.... and we're getting off-track, and some of the above comments are issued in a rather caustic manner, and... cut.

Here's the OP as a reminder of where this thread should be going:

17. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

I think fame and fortune is what most people think about when their young but when get older, life falls into perspective.

Fame today, is plastic. Fortune however is something none of us grow out of wanting or needing, I'm sure. A new car. A house somewhere nice in the UK or abroad, perferably somewhere hot and to be able to write without having to work fulltime, well that's heaven, right there. Let's face it, work gets in the way of writing, well it gets in the way of mine. You could travel to different locations and experience the places you write about. Pure bliss. :supersmile:

I don't come across very exciting do I? :D

Brindy, Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  18. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

Has someone been peeking into my dreams at night.. naughty naughty!

Oscar Leigh, jannert and GingerCoffee like this.
  19. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

For me, it would mean the luxury of giving up the day job and spending those hours writing.

Oh, and the funds to allow me the use of a helicopter to visit my friends and family more frequently, instead of sitting in traffic on the M5 for several hours.

20. BayView

Do you get car sick? If not, you could double up and hire a driver for getting you places, using the time you're a passenger to get some writing done...

Oscar Leigh and Brindy like this.
  21. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Nice house on a large body of water, and I'd get from one book signing to the next a lot faster on my new Ducati.

Oscar Leigh and matwoolf like this.
  22. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Designing a house would be awesome! Every once in a while I'll dabble in drawing up some blueprints for my "future house". I took a drafting class in high school so I'm basically an expert. I also agree with having animals. I would assemble an army of pygmy goats.

Oscar Leigh and BayView like this.
  23. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

I don't get car sick but I do get distracted by the driver's running commentary on the standard of other people's driving.

24. BayView

When you're rich you pay for well-trained drivers who know when to shut up!

25. Wreybies

Ok, yes, I may have to include chauffeur in the list of things to have with my writing money. Every time I get into the car with William driving it shaves years off of my life. o_O