1. Boriol

Boriol New Member

How would one avoid a neck snap?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Boriol, Aug 1, 2011.

In an attempted murder scene, a man breaks into a classroom deserted except for one girl. She's 14, but has been trained in basic defensive maneuvers by her father and sister, a cop and an aspiring teen businesswoman, respectively.

If this girl is pinned against a wall and the murderer goes to snap her neck, how would she avoid it? It is possible to roll with it? Or is the only solution to not let him get a grip on her head in the first place? If a dodge/block/avoid move is possible, could it feasibly be executed by a young girl?

With martial arts sequences, I usually simulate everything with a friend in real life, but this can't be done for obvious reasons. Even with unsafe scenes, I can usually get a simulation done in Endorphin within an hour or so, but I actually need some knowledge this time.

More might-be-useful-but-most-likely-not info:
    -The entire fight lasts less than thirty seconds.
    -The girl must be in a coma at the end.

2. MRD

MRD New Member

If the attacker is using both hands to pin the girl against a wall, then he would presumably have no means of protecting his nether-regions from the girl's knee.

Knee + Plumbs = Ouch

3. Boriol

Boriol New Member

Obvious solution is obvious. I can't believe I missed that. Yet more tunnel vision, I suppose.

Thanks.

4. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

There are a number of defensive moves that could be used. Kicking him in the crown jewels is a good start as suggested. But the basic block if he puts his hands around her throat hopingto choke her is to slide both arms inside and up between his arms, and then strike outwards with both causing him to loose his grip. Then once that's done knee in the jewels, or in the solar plexus to push him away.

If he's got her pinned against a wall though he's not really trying to snap her neck, he might be trying to throttle her / crush her wind pipe.

But also remember the other most useful defenses a young girl would have, and top of the list, a piercing scream. Even if no one's there to hear it the attacker probably couldn't be certain of that and would panic. So then as to your coma ending, he might hit her, hard, knock her against a wall, and brain swelling would take care ofthe rest if she hit her head.

Cheers.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It should be noted that all but the most inexperienced brawlers defend their jewels instinctively. All it takes is to keep the knees close together and perhaps to twist slightly around the vertical axis as soon as the opponent begins to shift his or her weight to launch the knee strike.

Also, the girl must be in a coma at the end of the attack? That will be difficult if the assailant is to be prevented from murdering her. Only way I can see is that a third party intervenes, but not before the girl is seriously injured (concussion?).

6. GreenRain

GreenRain New Member

Fight Sciences

Solutions: He picks her up and slams her into the wall next to a second — or higher — story window. She reaches the arm closest to the one that has the best grip, turning her head and trunk away from his thumb, releasing her from his grip with a decisive shove. She then slams her foot into his shin, he reflexively responds sending her through the window. Um, how bad should this coma be? a month? and year? a few decades?

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You see people snapping other people's necks in movies by twisting the head or what have you. I'm not convinced it would be that easy to snap the neck of a 14 year old person with one's bare hands, despite what is shown in the movies. You could probably do a lot of damage to the tissue in the neck, but could you really snap a neck that easily?

8. LaurenM

LaurenM Member

I think Steerpike's right. It would be incredibly hard to snap her neck. Now chocking her? That would be a whole lot easier. If she's trained in martial arts, she would probably know that if someone's going in for a choke hold, it would be best to try and tuck her chin in to her neck to make it harder for him to get his hands around her. At least, that's one of the techniques in Judo. I don't know what martial art she's trained in.

I also agree with pyschotick's mention of a scream. I'm around the same age as your character, and I can scream very, very loud and high pitched, and I've never even screamed my loudest before. That would be one of her best defenses.

9. GreenRain

GreenRain New Member

All you really would have to do is damage the brain-stem. Otherwise, it would take strength, speed, or some weakened condition in the victim, like a bone or connective tissue disorder.

Problem I have is the fight takes less that thirty seconds and she's in for it. And she has martial arts training? :eek: What, a day? :(