1. handsinthegarden

handsinthegarden Member

How would you feel seeing your ex?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by handsinthegarden, Sep 8, 2018.

Hi folks!

About a year ago I asked a similar question relating to part of my plot-line, but things have been changed up a little. With the changes, I thought I might approach the topic again. You are character A. A is confident yet quiet, unsure how to resolve conflicts after being used to getting what you want. You aren't selfish, just inexperienced.

Character A was in a relationship with character B, both in their 20's. Character B is a lot more social and outgoing, with more life experience but is usually patient and understanding. Through a series of misunderstandings they part ways, each with different thoughts on what caused their relationship to end. Character A is under the belief that character B had no thoughts on rekindling and sorting out things any longer due to hurt feelings.

They cross paths a few years later, A discovering B is getting married. If you were A, how would this make you feel? How might you act?

I'm just curious to see other interpretations. Thanks guys!

2. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

A lot of it would depend on what's happened to me between then and now. Am I happy or at least satisfied with my current life, particularly my love life?

3. handsinthegarden

handsinthegarden Member

Current life, you're more or less settling, becoming more dedicated to work and tell yourself you're too married to your work for romance.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I actually did run into my ex a few weeks ago in Mayagüez. He was the first fellah I dated when I came to Puerto Rico.

There was an initial moment of being caught off guard, that yucky feeling you get when adrenaline dumps into your system for no good reason and out of nowhere. I think that's going to happen no matter what, at least in the first seconds, no matter where you are in life compared to where you were when you ended things with the ex.

In my case, it was really easy to remember how completely emotionally unavailable he was. We didn't have an ugly breakup; we just sort of stopped doing the things that equal being in a relationship. We stopped calling one another, stopped going to each other's respective towns (PR is tiny, don't let different towns make you think endless hours of driving, 45 min at the most). We just... stopped.

So if I'm A and run into B and learn he's getting hitched, that's really not a thing that would hit me in a negative way. I've been with my hubby for 11 years now, and unlike the aforementioned ex, William is a very emotionally communicative person. We talk, we engage, we are happy together.

If my ex is getting married, good for him. I hope he's learned to give voice to whomever it is that inhabits his body, because I certainly never met that person.

5. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

It honestly depends on the ex. I've got a couple of ex's that I hang out with on a regular basis, and others not so much. Some I'd congratulate; some I'd say could do better, but would be legitimately happy for if they were happy; and others I'd track down their affianced in order to have a strong heart to heart with them to make sure they knew what they were getting into.

katina likes this.
  6. katina

katina Banned Contributor

It depends which ex one is talking about.

7. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

My ex is currently getting married (his fiancee contacted me on FB) and I couldn't care less. Why should I? We split up and he moved on, which is only reasonable. I've also moved on, and I'm trying to focus on school and getting a better job in order to further my career.

A bit like your character, I don't feel like I have time for romance and my focus is getting into a job that I want to do for the rest of my life.