Tags:
  1. sophie.

sophie. New Member

The Films Thread!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sophie., Jun 14, 2009.

Sorry if it's been done before and is lurking mysteriously somewhere or other...

I thought we could post here our favourite films, say why you like them etc, and talk about them, and actors and actresses as well.

So what films/actors do you like? Why? :)

2. Vapor

Vapor New Member

My favorite recently was "The Wrestler". I could identify with the characters and really cared about them by the end. "Up" was surprisingly good too. Usually I think cutsey animated movies are going to suck but this one was moving and well done.

3. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Oh I remember the Wrestler coming out, I never saw it though heard it was really good.

I love the thriller 'Tell No One' - anyone seen that?

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Seachd: The Inaccessible Pinnacle.

No explanation needed ;)

5. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I absolutely LOVE Gladiator. And I love Jaquin Phoenix.
    He's so... he just plays his roles really convincing.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Saw I, II, III, IV and V - I love gore and horror and the Billy doll is just sooooooooo cute!!

Final Destinations 1, 2 and 3, number 4 doesn't look too promising if you ask me.

I love the actor Tobin, who played jigsaw in the Saw movies. Also the name chosen if we have a little boy. (Dan chose the name, I LOVE it!!!) :D

7. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

My favourite movies are The Godfather and Citizen Kane, as both are perfect. I also love Requiem for a Dream.

More recently, a horror movie from France called 'Martyrs' has captured my attention. It's my favourite horror movie since Jacob's Ladder and (the original) Wicker Man. It stands out in my mind because it is actually a horrifying, unpleasant experience, and I thought the ending was excellent.

8. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

My movie viewing habits seemed to be fueled by whatever is on the discount DVD rack.

Recent films I have watched

Empire of the Sun
    Terminator 2
    Gallipoli
    Apollo Thirteen
    Life of Brian
    Time Bandits
    War Games
    Das Boot (currently reading the book)

I've never been one for telemovies but I recently got into a series called Foyle's War, a detective drama set during WWII written by, would you believe it, Anthony Horowitz of Alex Rider fame. I used to devour his books when I was in my early teens. Ahhh good times....

9. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Alright, so I guess I'm going to see this Martyrs movie pretty soon. Here's to another REC-like situation where I think the movie can't possibly be good, yet it surprises me anyway.

My favorite movie is City of God, for its incredibly wide, daring scope of time and intricacy to the subject matter, and yet its incredibly comfortable feeling atmosphere and execution - you get the idea making this movie was fun for them; it doesn't feel forced or anything at all.

Pulp Fiction is the very close runner up for its fantastically quirky, weird writing and the masterful way everything is tied together into a cohesive whole. Whatever is on the screen, whatever is being said...it doesn't matter with this movie; you WILL be interested. That's the best thing about it. It's just great.

Others:

Se7en
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    American Beauty
    Stranger than Fiction
    Terminator 2
    The Dark Knight
    Batman (1989)
    Halloween
    Black Christmas
    The Big Lebowski
    Thank You for Smoking
    American Psycho
    Twelve Monkeys
    The Crow

...and many more.

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

When I saw the Wrestler, I did not expect to like it, but I really did.

I really like...

Saved!
    Pineapple Express
    Burn After Reading
    The Wedding Singer
    Finding Neverland
    August Rush

My favorite movies are comedies or any movie that is really emotional, whether it be happy, sad, inspirational, etc. Joel always makes fun of me when we go to Blockbuster and asks "oh, are you going to get another romantic comedy? What a surprise!" Maybe I should shake things up a bit.

11. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

Panda Express eh? Don't think I've seen that one...

:D

12. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Harharhar.

I fixed it. :p

13. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

That my friend, is what we call getting ninja'd

14. sophie.

sophie. New Member

I liked Finding Neverland..just cos it had Johnny Depp in it :D
    Oh and I lovd Edward Scissorhands :)

15. Obezyanka

Obezyanka New Member

I am into the Russian Imperial family and have seen various movies based on them. From the fairytale fanatasy of "Anastasia" to "Rasputin" (Which stared the sexy Alan Rickman and Nicholas second look alike Ian McKellen).

Out of all Russian Imperial movies. My favourite and best loved is "Romanovy: Ventsenosnaya semya" Translated as "Romanov: A crowned family."

Which follows the time of Nicholas making the hard decision of abdicating to the brutal execution of Nicholas, his family and servants.

The film was shot in Russia using Russian actors, except for the actress whom played Tsarina Alexandra she is from England.

The formal living palace of the former imperal family, known as the Alexander Palace is used which includes the grounds and in some of the rooms. These rooms were reconstructed as the way the Imperial family lived. The set of Nicholas' study is still there and tourists can see how the room looked during Nicholas' reign.

It is the only Romanov movie which is historically close to the real Imperial family. From the sets and costumes. The girls are wearing replica clothing of the real Grand Duchesses and Nicholas is looking at actual photographs (obviously reproductions) of the real Imperial family.

It can be found on frozentears.org.

Many that have seen it and are familiar with the Imperial family say that the actress playing Grand Duchess Olga has a striking physical resembalance of the real GD Olga.

16. kyle777

kyle777 Member

Do I even have to mention Donnie Darko? I thought August Rush was a wonderful movie too, even though critics despised it. And then there's a little gem of mine.....Mean Girls.....:D

17. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I love all kinds of films (my home collection is embarassingly large >_>), and I love just about every aspect of film-making - costume and set design, cinematography etc

My mother was a huge film fan too, and made sure I was well schooled in all the classics (sometimes waking me up at 3am to do so, to watch some old Bette Davis movie or some such). I recently went to see The Bandwagon at the cinema, which was awesome as it was the first time I'd taken the opportunity to see Fred Astaire on the big screen - all kinds of win. :)

Also love Asian cinema - especially films from the "new wave" Hong Kong era (circa 1990's, a la Once Upon A Time In China).

Favoured directors include:

Jim Jarmusch (Dead Man, Ghost Dog...)
    Hal Hartley (Trust, Simple Men, Amateur, Henry Fool...)
    Ringo Lam (Burning Paradise, The "On Fire" series...)
    John Woo (A Better Tomorrow, The Killer, Bullet In The Head)
    Tsui Hark (OUATIC series, Peking Opera Blues... >>list too long<<)
    Jim Henson (The Dark Crystal - pure genius)
    Hayao Miyazaki (And pretty much any film associated with Studio Ghibli)
    Kevin Smith (Clerks, Dogma, Mallrats...)

+ lots, lots more.... :D

18. Evinco Omnis

Evinco Omnis New Member

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd ask a question. Have any of you seen the movie "Franklyn"?
    I watched it recently and thought it was a terrific film, but my friends walked out the room after an hour complaining that it was boring.

It's the first film I've seen that was able to capture the state of a mentally unstable mind in a beautiful and powerful manner.

It's one of my new favorites.

Cheers...

19. sophie.

sophie. New Member

aha he's great!

I haven't seen that but it sounds interesting. Sometimes I like films that my friends find incredibly dull (I can't see why though! :D) like Gosford Park.
    But I have got them interested in French films, like Amelie, A la folie pas du tout(He loves me he loves me not), Tell No One...
    At the moment 'I've Loved you so long' is my favourite film (another french one, but it's become v. popular outside France as well). Partly cos it has Kristin Scott Thomas in haha, but it's a really good character study :)

20. Gurari

Gurari New Member

Here's a few recommendations off of the top of my head:

Synecdoche, New York (any Charlie Kaufman)
    How to Be
    Children of Men (I actually thought this movie was better than the book. PD James...not so much)
    The Dark Knight (for Heath Ledgers performance...wow)
    Park Chan-Wook's Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance being my favorite).
    Spring Summer Fall Winter Spring
    There Will Be Blood
    Last Tango in Paris
    The Seventh Seal
    Any Akira Kurosawa film.
    The Samurai Trilogy
    Death at a Funeral
    Any Wong Kar-Wai film
    Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks (anyone seen Inland Empire?)

21. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I have a movie to reccommend.

If anyone here watches Bollywood movies, go get Ghajini's DVD....did you get emotional during Slumdog? Well, Slumdog has nothing on Ghajini.

22. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

V for Vendetta was an amazing movie. Hugo Weaving (of matrix fame: he played Agent Smith) did a fantastic job of portraying V and the movie itself is just very well done.

Wall-E is also a great movie. It's possible the funniest animated movie I've seen and the artists did an incredeble job at having Wall-E and Eve show emotions despite being robots with a very limited vocabulary.

And my favorite movie is Clerks. I like that it has a very sarcastic sense of humor and the idea of the main two characters just being convience store clerks is unique. Oh and I can see a lot of myself in the protagonist (Dante) which I'm not that sure if that's a good thing or bad.

Anyways, I would suggest that every watches those movies, at least once.

23. Evinco Omnis

Evinco Omnis New Member

Southland tales was a great film. Crazy,wacky, over-the-top, and headache inducing.

Another movie I saw recently was "Slipstream" with Anthony Hopkins. It reminded me of a dream. Very surreal.

24. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

My all-time favorite movie has to be Saving Private Ryan, followed closely by Slacker, then Clerks.

25. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I'm (hopefully) going to see Terminator: Salvation today so yay!