Tags:
  1. SyntheticCFM

SyntheticCFM Member

Don't call me Ishmael.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SyntheticCFM, Oct 1, 2011.

It isn't my name and never will be. I joined this forum because I enjoy writing and want to get honest feedback, as opposed to friendly white lies or embarrassing classroom situations. My name is actually Clint, and I have recently turned 21. I attend a school in Connecticut and I am majoring in Computer Science, at least, thats the plan. I am quite friendly in real life and this intro has not been such a big warm hug, but I suppose I wanted my introduction to be interesting to read? Maybe, but anyway I hope to get to know many of you on the forum and I look forward to sharing my writing as well as reading yours. If you'd like to friend me right now I would gladly accept, but if not that's alright as well. I basically write three types of things, which is really more like two. Lets stick with two. I either try to write humerous essays in an almost insultingly ripped off Jack Handy method, or I write poetry, which I'd like to think is more original than my humor pieces, so I'll probably post more of those. I also code in python, java, or scheme, but I won't be posting any of that. Thank you for reading this introduction and if you would like to say 'hello' please do below. It's feels good to enter such a thriving community. :)

-Clint

ps. I also have one question, I can post on all the forums except for the reviewing writing ones. I try to make a new post in poetry, but it won't let me. I assume there is some initiation where I have to have 10 posts or something and then I can post there, but can anyone tell me what the real answer is? Thank you!

2. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

hi Ishmael :D, and welcome to the forum.

3. SyntheticCFM

SyntheticCFM Member

Woah woah buddy, I said not to call me that, can't you READ?

But seriously: "Hello!" and thank you for welcoming me to these forums. Also, maybe I now want people to call me Ishmael...? It'd be a neat nickname and doesn't tell you a thing about me. I didn't even like moby dick. I'd personally rather just dick, and I'm not of that persuasion (or so I repeat 50 times before bed every night). Truth be told I never REALLY read the thing, but I skimmed it, and got a general idea of what I wasn't getting. And the getting wasn't good, despite it's length and girth. Anywho, I am now going to read your writing Dave C so you'll see what some dumbass 21 year-old thinks of it very shortly. No need to thank me! I'm procrastinating. :)

4. urban_rae

urban_rae New Member

Hi Clint. Welcome to the Forum, I am fairly new as well. I saw your post and wanted to point you to the Forum Rules. There you will find all the info you need on how to start posting your own work. I mention this because, not having read the rules thoroughly, I pretty much did everything wrong (and I'm usually such a stickler for rules).

Hopefully I can help you (and others) avoid the mistakes I made :)

Have fun. Look forward to reading your stuff.

Rae

5. ShadowScribbler

ShadowScribbler New Member

I've never read Moby Dick BUT I love the fact that you (kind of?) used it as a referrence for your intro title. I have been struggling with the idea of learning at least basic HTML coding but I can never seem to find the time or a viable excuse I cannot get out of to do it. Alas, the ability eludes me still.

I'm as new as you but hey, why not say welcome here too? I hope we both find what we're looking for in these so far great-looking forums!

Fun fact about me: I can't really say I'm a poet but I did dabble on it a fair bit back in high school. Did my obligatory Tolkien-inspired piece too, haha. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reading yours! x

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

7. Flowerfairy

Flowerfairy Member

welcome, pal.

8. Sarah G

Sarah G New Member

Welcome:D

9. SyntheticCFM

SyntheticCFM Member

This community seems nice! Hopefully not too nice, though.

I'm pumped to post but I like this two week waiting period. It's very... interesting. I have to read other peoples work and comment on it and then I can take those criticisms back to my own work and think to myself, 'am I a hypocrite?'.

Currently, I am.

10. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Love the play on "Moby Dick" - welcome.