1. Sleep

Sleep New Member

Howdy! I have no idea what I'm doing.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sleep, Sep 4, 2017.

Hello, I'm Robin!
    I am a freelance artist who has spent the vast majority of their life avoiding writing. My fears have led me away from creative writing for years and even within my art I struggle with self expression for fear of ridicule or imperfection. With writing I had always thought "If I can't do it right, why do it at all?", but through the years I have realised the only way to create something the way you want to is through failure. I will never be able to write creatively unless I try, make mistakes and learn. I have to study others, discuss my work and have space to grow as an author with other like minded individuals. I'm finally ready to hone my craft and start expressing myself.

I still struggle with my self confidence but I sincerely want to dedicate myself to writing. My knowledge of punctuation and grammar is very rusty so I hope you will all have patience with me as I relearn everything I've let slip over the years.

I look forward to getting myself out there and doing some non-stop self improvement. If anyone ever feels like having a conversation feel free to contact me. I'm always up for a chat with just about anyone about whatever is on their mind even if we haven't ever spoken. Thanks for reading my introduction. I'm so excited to get to know all the talented folks on this forum! :)

Lifeline likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Howdy! Nor do I. Luckily, it doesn't seem to hold you back in this business.

Everybody's first draft of their first novel sucks. Like, really sucks. It's a rite of passage.

Cave Troll and Wreybies like this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Robin! :bigwink:

Well said. They are always your words and as long as you are hale and whole, there will be as many more words as you need. Write knowing that the first go will be rubbish. Write knowing that you'll get better. Write until you feel that you have control over what the words are doing, using them purposefully for their intent and effect.

You'll have received a PM from me upon joining with information concerning our site. Give it a glance.

Have fun. :bigcool:

Wrey

4. Sleep

Sleep New Member

Absolutely. I'm ready to write as many bad drafts as I have to before I finally create something decent. You have to let yourself really suck at something before you get anywhere. :)

5. Sleep

Sleep New Member

Thank you for the welcome and the advice, I really appreciate it.

Wreybies likes this.
  6. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hello @Sleep :)
    There's a famous proverb which I remind myself now and again: 'The master has failed more often than the beginner has tried.' Let this be your guideline, and have fun learning, because writing is worth it. Welcome!

Sleep likes this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    GIR Waving.gif
    Rough drafts are meant to be bad. Its ok.
    With time and patience you will get the
    knack of it.
    Good luck and have fun. :supersmile:
    Typing Horse.gif

Sleep likes this.