1. alan2here

alan2here New Member

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alan2here, Jan 9, 2013.

I'm new to these forums.

I write poetry like this and would love reason to write more.
    alan2here.deviantart.com/...

I've had ideas for longer works before, such as perhaps stories. I'd like to have a go at populating existing text with more descriptive detail, I'm no good at the sort of overarching narrative stories are built around.

One idea is for a planet on which lies two main cities. The protagonist spends a day as a citizen of one before going to sleep when he wakes up as a similar person living in the other city, in each life memories from the other are somewhat as if from a dream.

Thease centers of population are, if not at war with each other then cirtainly not friendly, but seemingly only this one person with their duell life is aware of this.

For optional extra convolution, it could turn out later that there is nothing supernatural occurring but that the protagonist is re-living memories from living in both places at different periods there life. The symmetry, the seemingly interleaved time occurring as a result of the cyclic nature of events, a consequence of the flow of misinformation in these places.

Another idea was for a sort of magic to have been descovered recently on eath or somewhere similar. The magic comes in distinct types that are hard and/or dangerous to use together, perhaps this should be analogous to different flavours, colors or feelings. Its use is often addictive but gives powers to those who spend time immersed in it, or in some cases must be dedicated to understanding of it, one could say super-powers. However this comes at a cost as the powers are often, unavoidably as part of how they work, also drawbacks. What's more the magic affects the minds of those involved.

The sub-cultures involved in this often underestimate the risks and overestimate the gains and are dysfunctional due to their exposure to the magic, they are not necessarily bad or unpleasant.

The story could be nuteral as to the morals of this magic although not all characters need be. With questions such as if humans can survive indefinitely on any type of the magic or if its use is a gradual deathwish, or at least a wish to be differently existing. If the magic is stable, safe, inanimate and controlable and if it should be controlled assertively at all, or just used. If any of the subcultures could work well between themselves or integrate with the rest of society without excessive taboo.

I've got more information on this idea I can post later, I thought it up yesterday.

2. Perplexity

Perplexity New Member

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
  3. alan2here

alan2here New Member

Oh, thanks :¬o

Should this thread be moved or renamed? It's an idea thread as well.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ideas are meaningless, alan... no one can tell you if one will work or not, till they see what you've done with it... the worst idea can become a successful story/novel in the hands of a good writer, while the best idea ever can bomb in the hands of a poor one...

5. alan2here

alan2here New Member

Wise words.

I find Terry Pratchett can make even otherwise mundane functional conversations brilliant, in many subtle ways.

I'm unlikely to write a book, at least for a long time, so most of this is somewhat hypothetical. Poetry is more practical for me.