1. Phil Waisome

Phil Waisome New Member

Allow me to introduce myself!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Phil Waisome, Sep 27, 2014.

Hello, Bonjour, Jambo, Ni Hao and any other ways to greet.

My name is Phil Waisome. Here's a little info about me:
    Ethnicity: Jamaican but born and raised in England
    Hobbies/Interests: Martial arts, Football, Hip Hop culture, Video Games, Comic books, Manga, Cartoons/Anime and Animation
    Favourite Music Genres: Golden Age Hip Hop, Drum & Bass, Metal.

Why am I here?
    A little back story. I love fantasy novels (I'm into other types of novels as well) and I've started to get back into reading novels again. One thing that really bothered me was the lack of fantasy (and other speculative fiction) based and centered on an African perspective (this also includes other geeky stuff like manga, cartoons etc). I decided to look for some African inspired fantasy novels. I did manage to find some and while there aren't a lot of authors, they do seem to have a loyal and growing following. I was ecstatic to read about the stories and characters that come or are based on different African polities and civilizations other than ancient Egypt like the Swahili city states, Axum, The West African Sudano-Sahelian empires like Ghana, Mali and Songhai, Kanem-Bornu, The Zimbabwean kingdoms and more.
    It got me wondering, why aren't there more fantasy novels, comic books or entertainment media in general based around Africa?
    Then I read small passage in a book, I cant remember the whole of it but I do remember one part of it and it said, "Rather than complain or bitch about the lack of African inspired speculative fiction, we should make our own" (or something to that effect).
    So that's what I'm going to do. I've already got some plans to make African based fantasy novels and I've started writing a short story.
    I'm here so I can get some advice about writing novels, short stories, publishing and the whole shebang really. Also hopefully make some friends too.

Chiv, minstrel and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum. Sounds like some great ideas.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Phil, and welcome to the forum! Please read the New Member Quick Start Guide - it'll get you going around here.

African-based fantasy? Sounds cool! Good to have you around! :)

4. Chiv

Chiv Active Member

Wow, that's a really interesting idea. I've never thought of that. I'd love to see how you pull it off :D Welcome to the forum.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You might like the book, "The Hero with an African Face".

I learned about it hearing the author interviewed by Bill Moyers and bought the book. I absolutely love it, still have my copy.

6. Phil Waisome

Phil Waisome New Member

There's actually quite a few black/African speculative fiction short stories and novels. I would post a few of them up but I think it would be classed as advertising and that's against the rules.

7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

Welcome, Welcome! Have a good time here! and i hope to see you round (especially as you and i are both Metal lovers!)