1. Devii Dman McVicker

Devii Dman McVicker Member

Need Help Brainstorming...Why would a spy?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Devii Dman McVicker, Aug 14, 2012.

Why would a spy need to protect someone? Is the question that I ask. I'm trying to think of all the reasons a spy would have to protect someone but I'm reaching a blank. So far I thought about nuclear scientist, but I'm really looking for someone more common, your average Joe, if you will.

2. Web Address

Web Address New Member

Maybe the spy has been sent by a greater organisation that is controlling world events. Similar to the Illuminati conspiracy. The spy could be sent by this organisation to help fulfil their goals/make sure everything goes to plan/protect someone of interest to this organisation. :)

3. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Maybe the average Joe is unwittingly the only witness to something very important, and the powers that be may need to call on him in the future?

4. killbill

killbill Member

A spy is also a human :) so any reasons that someone have to protect someone else will apply to a spy as well. Take your pick to suit your story. Having said that the bread and butter for spies are getting information and relaying them to their handlers. I would imagine that anybody who is in that chain, if you like, would have to be protected for the spy's own benefit. Example: a spy acts as a servant and becomes close to the Kings personal butler who is unintentionally giving information about the king to the spy. Now, the spy would certainly protect the butler from any harm if he could.

5. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

Reasons to protect and average Joe:

Joe is a scientist with valuable knowledge
    Joe is carrying sensitive information
    Joe will be off critical importance to future events
    Joe has sensitive information and threatened to reveal it to the wrong people if he isn't protected
    Joe is a friend of the spy
    Joe is under asylum from the spy's organization
    Joe is paying the spy's organization to protect him
    Joe has been threatened by the spy's enemies
    Joe is actively working against the spy's enemies and has received threats from them
    The spy thinks Joe is worth protecting because the spy wants to protect someone

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Borrow from Scarecrow and Mrs. King - she was slipped vital information by mistake, which put her at risk.

7. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Look at James Bond too...and see why he has to protect the "Bond girl" and the various reasons behind it also.

8. nephlm

nephlm New Member

I assume you're looking for something where the spy is following orders rather than doing his own thing because he like Joe.
    * Chess game: The adversary is targeting Joe. The spy doesn't know why, but opposing the adversary is usually part of the job.
    * The spy/organization is using the comment section of Joe's blog on wood carving techniques as a command and control channel for assets.
    * Feint: Protecting Joe makes the adversary think he's important, distracting them the defection of the real nuclear scientist.
    * Faulty Intel: The organization's analysts are just wrong and they fingered Joe as being valuable incorrectly.
    * Joe has been purposefully or accidentally leaking innocuous information, such as his pizza deliveries, that the organization analysts use to determine if the adversary is active. The organization would like to protect that datasource if feasible.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Brainstorming? Exercise your own imagination, and trust in your ability to do so.

Leaning on others to provide you with ideas will not help you grow as a writer. Quite the contrary, in fact.

10. Devii Dman McVicker

Devii Dman McVicker Member

Just trying to get some all around thoughts on my idea, not necessarily looking for anyone to give me ideas. I thought we would bounce thoughts off each other since this is a forum to help others.

11. Darkranger85

Darkranger85 Member

A 'Spy' traditionally is a covert intelligence agent working for a government. With that in mind, he could be ordered to protect someone for any number of reasons.

Perhaps he is helping a citizen of his country to escape, or protecting a defector with valuable information, or the ol' protecting someone that you don't really want to protect except that this person is important in some way.

12. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Don't use Bond as someone says. James usually has only one reason for protecting a woman and it starts and ends in his pants!

As for the why - stick to the basics would be my thought. You protect someone because its important to you that they survive. This may be for emotional reasons - love / guilt. It may be because of something they can give you - information / false documentation / protection. It may be because their death may rob you of something - an alibi / access to somewhere / a career. Or it may simply be as part of a deal.

You choose.

Cheers, Greg.