Humans, how do you flirt?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Transylvanian Amnesiac, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Paul Kinsella

Paul Kinsella Member

I am intrigued. You are 25, but have no experience at all with seduction? I don't wish to embarrass you, so feel free to ignore this question, but are you asexual?

2. Transylvanian Amnesiac

Transylvanian Amnesiac Member

@Paul Kinsella, I don't mind disclosing anything. I'm straight but I suffer from social anxiety and I've rationalized things in my head to the point that any act of flirtation on my part could be construed as an insult to someone who thinks that they "could do better" than me for whatever reason there might be. I don't like hurting people's feelings. I know how to flatter people (I think), but upon realizing that it might be offensive to someone if it's coming from an unwanted source, I've toned it back.

It's pretty funny, I didn't describe my character(s) in depth because I didn't think that people would be interested and as a result my plot line looked contrived. Yet, here I am divulging something pretty ridiculous about myself...
    On the plus side I am finally "out of the club" and in more comfortable territory thanks to everyone's help here :)

3. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

I've always found 'Hey, that's a cool bag', or 'Whoa, those are some awesome shoes' are a good in. They're non-threatening, and most women spend a lot of time choosing which shoes and bag to take out with them, so like that it has been appreciated. They also tend to be quite surprised, because it's not something they usually get from men. If they start telling you a funny story about how they picked/got said shoes or bag, you're in. If they just thank you awkwardly, and go back to what they were doing, don't pester them. Pestering isn't nice.

4. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

As far as the actual flirting part, it's different for every single situation, and it's really not something I could quantify, cos it's a natural chemistry happening between two different people. It's very organic.

5. Paul Kinsella

Paul Kinsella Member

That's brilliant! But you should only say that if you DO like the bag (or whatever). Otherwise she might ask you WHY you like it and you'll be caught flat-footed.

I was once told a good way to strike up a conversation with a woman is the same way you would with another man. "Do you live around here?", "What do you do for fun?" etc...

Flirting_5.jpg

6. Paul Kinsella

Paul Kinsella Member

whenaguytriestoflirtwithme_2a1fb1_4547801.jpg

7. Transylvanian Amnesiac

As far as that diagram goes, I've never seen anything on the left side...

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

9. Transylvanian Amnesiac

In my tenth grade science class I was talking to a female classmate about the course material but my eyes couldn't help but wander south as she was wearing a low-cut dress. A male classmate accused me of staring and before I could even muster a weak and fictitious excuse the girl herself insisted that I was not and mouthed the other classmate off. Feeling that I had just received a last minute death-row pardon, I have consciously never tried to press my luck again. I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry tells George that "looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You can't do it too long, it's too risky!" Still, Paul Kinsella's assessment of me is actually shared among the people I know. Sometimes I wonder if I should use my power of camouflage for evil. How I've been missing out, fearing a fork in the eye...

10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    ...unless you're wearing sunglasses.

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Better not catch you staring at my tits...:supergrin:
    Tits.jpg
    They are my boobies, get your own.:superlaugh:
    two-blue-footed-boobies.jpg

12. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

And stay the hell away from my hooters

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. croak3r

croak3r Member

I dont usually like 'pickup' videos, but lookup Project Go by SimplePickup on youtube. They do a pretty good job of filming normal interactions with girls instead of normal cheesy crap:

A lot of flirting is just acting confident and knowing how to keep a conversation going/ entertaining. Girls dont want someone who acts shy, or spends a lot of time thinking what to say. Look at how the guy in the video behaves. Theres no hesitation when he approaches the girls and he has no issue keeping the conversation going once he's introduced himself.
    Also it's a little different since you say they are in a club. A lot of girls in clubs are looking for someone to come and flirt with them and take them home. You also cannot really have a conversation in a club (unless your in some kind of VIP room or something), so dont go making pages of dialogue because in real life the girl wouldnt hear half of it.

14. Transylvanian Amnesiac

My novel is set centuries in the future, so although people still go out to pick people up or be picked up in the modern manner, I have imagined changes in architecture and popular music to address these acoustic issues.

15. Alex Brandt

Alex Brandt Member

For a story perspective, I think a key moment in any seduction is the moment when the first touch occurs. It starts safely with the hand or arm and moves to the upper arm or back and so on.
    Also:
    But it has to progress to deeper conversation. Those who are good at seduction can reveal enough about themselves to form a connection. It's not necessarily deeply emotional, but it's enough to establish a connection.
    Some good books, The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene and Body Language by Alan and Barbara Pease.