1. sanddollar

sanddollar New Member

Hunting in 17th century N. Europe

Discussion in 'Research' started by sanddollar, Dec 15, 2016.

I have questions about a person in my story. He's from a wealthy family, he's hunting for food and/or sport.
    Where would I get good information about how to describe this realistically?
    How early in the morning would he go out? What weapons and supplies would he have? Would he go alone or have just one companion?
    Thanks.

2. ginkgo88

ginkgo88 New Member

What part of Europe exactly? The geography of where he's hunting will affect all of these answers. At any rate, a wealthy person very likely would be in a hunting party and the atmosphere would be much more for sport/a party than it would be for mere sustenance. By the time period you mentioned, the wealthy and upper class aristocracy had turned hunting into a very literal sport and show. Have they gone out hunting from their home? Did they travel to a hunting lodge for sport? Where are the dogs? Depending on what kind of hunting they are doing, there could be any number of specialized hounds present. Maybe they're getting REALLY fancy and practicing falconry?

Anyway, that's about the extent of my 'knowledge' of this subject. A preliminary glance at this project gutenburg ebook Manners, Custom and Dress During the Middle Ages and During the Renaissance Period by Paul Lacroix shows that this book has a chapter on hunting that might provide the kind of background and technical information you're looking for.