Tags:
  1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stormsong07, Aug 26, 2017.

Any fellow Texans out there? How are you holding up? I am north enough (just north of Austin) to not be in the major destruction area, but we are getting lots of rain and flooding is a concern. Hope everyone is staying safe.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  2. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

Not me, but my sis lives SE of Houston. They thought ahead and built their house on stilts, unlike others in the area, and ride out all storms pretty easily.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

My mom's down there in Houston, plus my brother-in-law and a couple of nieces. Talked to my mom this morning; she's pretty optimistic as she lives in an area where the water never comes as high as the houses. Everything's battened down, the pantry and the gas tank are full, the kerosene lamps are at hand if the power goes out. She says she's ready. In fact, she enjoyed last night: "Great sleeping weather."

Hoping and praying it continues so.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. Catrin Lewis

I've got a sister and another nephew and niece in Austin. I hear you're supposed to get a decent amount of rain. Don't drive into low spots, people!

5. Catrin Lewis

Any word about your sister? From what I'm reading online, it's gotten bad.

6. surrealscenes

I just talked to my brother and he has been in contact with them (I am the bad one that rarely reaches out). They are fine. He has been out there and said they live in an odd pocket where they get the worst of everything, but don't usually lose power or communications. My sis works at NASA and most around them do so they have kind of advanced problem proofed utilities. They have been getting hit for a couple hours, then hour of nothing, then hit. They walk the dog and look at wreckage in the times with nothing. He said they got a foot of rain in like 4 hours last night, but live near a bayou with drainage type rivers around them.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Texans, you are all amazing, badass and awesome in every way. The blood of your Texan ancestors run in your veins -- this Hurricane Harvey might pack a punch, but it will not keep you down. NOW GO OUT AND BE BADASS!!!

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  8. surrealscenes

I saw last night that it is supposed to go back out to gulf, then come back to land and move up on an easterly track through Texas.

9. Stormsong07

It's let up some today. Still grey and cloudy, but breaks in the rain. It was raining this morning, but then just now when I went outside it had stopped. Still no sun yet though....

10. Stormsong07

heb1.jpg

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  11. Catrin Lewis

Yes, but do they have Hobnobs?

12. Catrin Lewis

My mom's lost power. My brother-in-law, who's been staying with her since she came back from rehab after busting her pelvis, wants to pack her up and take her up to Austin until this all blows over. She's got no desire to sit in a car that long, not to mention who knows if the roads out of Houston are even passable. As long as the street (and the yard) is free of water, I won't push her to go.

And knowing my mom, she'll enjoy using the antique kerosene lamps and figuring out how to get something edible to eat with the electric stove not working.

(I know I "should" feel awful that it's come to that, and in a way, I do. But I also know she won't thank me for feeling sorry for her.)

13. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Sounds like my mom. She's on the other end of the country, but she and my stepdad like to do the buckskinner pioneer reenactment thing, living in a tipi, cooking in a dutch oven over a wood fire, all that. Not saying they'd be better prepared if things really went sideways and floody, but if the power went out? Camping in the backyard again.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  14. Catrin Lewis

Early this morning my brother-in-law got tired of hanging around in Houston with the rain and flood threat and no power. He rousted my mom out of bed and announced he was already packing to take her and himself back to Austin.

Just spoke to her on the road. They're halfway there and had no trouble getting out of town. My mom's disappointed she didn't get to have fun cooking out on the gas grill and all. But she understands how he feels, so she's accepting the fiat with good grace.

I told her to let me know when they get there safe. I'm paranoid like that. It'd be an ironic turn if--- Well, I won't go there. I refuse.