1. Chris Gentry

Chris Gentry New Member

Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Chris Gentry, May 27, 2011.

Do you think Hybrids are any good? Too cliched? Does it depend on the type of hybrid? Do you think they are better when they are not co dominate?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hybrids of what? :confused:

3. Evilyn

Evilyn New Member

Like Banzai mentioned, it depends what type of hybrids they are.. Most things are cliche to be honest as most concepts have already been written about in one form or another but don't let that stop you. My MC in my fantasy novel is a hybrid, she had to be to be able to do the things she does in the book and the story evolves around the fact that she's a hybrid, but I think they way I have portrayed her and the way the story is written I have managed to make it my own and not make it sound a cliche. If you need hybrids in your story then by all means have them, but I would try to give a good background story as to where they came from.

Evi

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Do you know how hybrid vigor works? Mix up the genetics, and typically you widen the spread of qualities in the offspring. For example, in a litter of mixed breed puppies, a couple will be kind of normal, one will be exceptional, and another will be stillborn. Among the survivors, the average vitality is thereby improved.

If it's a writing hybrid. expect some of your results to be stillborn.